[New: openFATE 310920] The ~200 Line Linux Kernel Patch That Does Wonders for opensuse 11.4
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 12:16:44 +0100 (CET)
Feature added by: Jedi Beeftrix (Jedibeeftrix)

Feature #310920, revision 1
Title: The ~200 Line Linux Kernel Patch That Does Wonders for opensuse 11.4

Requested by: Jedi Beeftrix (jedibeeftrix)

To quote the torvalds: "Yeah. And I have to say that I'm (very happily)
surprised by just how small that patch really ends up being, and how it's not
intrusive or ugly either. I'm also very happy with just what it does to
interactive performance. Admittedly, my "testcase" is really trivial (reading
email in a web-browser, scrolling around a bit, while doing a "make -j64" on
the kernel at the same time), but it's a test-case that is very relevant for
me. And it is a _huge_ improvement. It's an improvement for things like smooth
scrolling around, but what I found more interesting was how it seems to really
make web pages load a lot faster. Maybe it shouldn't have been surprising, but
I always associated that with network performance. But there's clearly enough
of a CPU load when loading a new web page that if you have a load average of
50+ at the same time, you _will_ be starved for CPU in the loading process, and
probably won't get all the http requests out quickly enough. So I think this is
firmly one of those "real improvement" patches. Good job. Group scheduling goes
from "useful for some specific server loads" to "that's a killer feature".
Linus" OldCpu on the opensuse forums seemed to indicate that this might be a
possibility for opensuse 11.4.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_2637_video&num=2 I
sincerely hope so!

How about it?