[openFATE 310571] L2TP-protocol connection setup for VPN via YaST in yast2-network module
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 03:45:18 +0200 (CEST)
Feature changed by: Ilya Chernykh (Ansus)
Feature #310571, revision 8
Title: L2TP-protocol connection setup for VPN via YaST in yast2-network
module

Requested by: Сергей Миронов (serg0)

Many Internet providers give an opportunity of creation VPN-connections
via pptp-protocol or l2tp-protocol.
PPTP protocol is used widely. It is old and slow.
L2TP protocol gives more stable connections and increases significally
the speed of internet-traffic.
The speed of my internet (and not only for me!) REALLY increased after
I changed the type of my internet-connection from pptp to l2tp. With
pptp my speed was 2Mbit/s (download) and 1,5 Mbit/s (upload). With l2tp
I got (on the same line!) 10 Mbit/s on download (limited by provider)
and 35 Mbit/s on upload. Tests on speedtest.net and several other test-
sites approved this.
I made the PPTP connection with yast2-network module (DSL). It is fast,
simple and convinient way (as usually everything with YaST). But DSL
module now does not have an opportunity for making VPN connection via
L2TP protocol.
I suggest to add L2TP protocol in yast2-network module to have a
choise between connections via PPP over Ethernet, PPP over ATM, CAPI
for ADSL, Point To Point Connection Protocol and L2TP CONNECTION
PROTOCOL !
I used xl2tp package to create connection but I couldn't tune right all
nesessary scripts in /etc/ppp directory.
In forums I found different ways to run proper l2tp connection. The
best one on my opinion is using the script from
here:  http://homenet.corbina.net/index.php?showtopic=267122
(http://homenet.corbina.net/index.php?showtopic=267122)  This
script helped me to use xl2tpd and established true l2tp connection.
Searching for this method takes several days. But now I am not sure in
security of established l2tp-connection as I was with PPTP connection
created with DSL module in yast2-network.
Another method for creation of l2tp-connections is developing for
Mandriva:  http://code.google.com/p/vpnpptp/
(http://code.google.com/p/vpnpptp/)
From kernel 2.6.23 the kernel module pppol2tp is included in vanilla kernel-
source. This is another reason to include L2TP protocol in the list of
choise of protocols in DSL connection module.
To openSUSE developers:  PLEASE add L2TP protocol to YaST! I sure
it'll really improve my favourite openSUSE beside of other linux
distros!
For simple users like me, not for red-eyes linux-penguins, YaST is
more convenient method for creation l2tp-connections beside of a
sysadmin's way with manually corrected shell-scripts in the core of
operating system!
In Windows L2TP connections are available via built-in Network
Connections module in Control Panel.
But openSUSE has not such a necessary tool.
Simply users, like me, please vote everybody for L2TP to
openSUSE!!!

Useful links for developers:
1. xl2tpd home page: http://www.xelerance.com/software/xl2tpd/
(http://www.xelerance.com/software/xl2tpd/)
2. Script to establish l2tp connection on openSUSE and other distros:
http://homenet.corbina.net/index.php?showtopic=267122
(http://homenet.corbina.net/index.php?showtopic=267122)
3. Using Linux as L2TP client:
http://www.jacco2.dds.nl/networking/linux-l2tp.html
(http://www.jacco2.dds.nl/networking/linux-l2tp.html)
4. VPNPPTP (also supports L2TP): http://code.google.com/p/vpnpptp/
(http://code.google.com/p/vpnpptp/)

P.S. The feature-request like mine (
https://features.opensuse.org/309322 (309322) ) was already realized in
openSUSE 11.3, but in cutted form. Now it is closed because openSUSE
11.3 is out and xl2tpd-package was created. The result of this realized
feature was the creation of xl2tp-packages for penSUSE repository. But
the simple making of xl2tpd-packages for users is not useful at all and
gives no result.
We are not system administrators, we are users! Remember it! Good
luck!

+ #1: Ilya Chernykh (ansus) (2010-09-24 03:45:14)
+ Что-то неправильно в твоей системе, если скорость интернета возрастает
+ в несколько раз при смене протокола. Когда у меня было соединение по
+ PPTP, скорость была именно такой, как лимитировал провайдер (соединение
+ с тестовым сайтом провайдера давало 95 Mbit/s up и 82 Mbit/s down).
+ PPTP не может лимитировать скорость настолько.
+
+

List Navigation