[openFATE 310560] Server Download Option for 11.4<
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 17:16:11 +0200 (CEST)
Feature changed by: Jan Engelhardt (jengelh)
Feature #310560, revision 10
Title: Server Download Option for 11.4<

Buildservice: Unconfirmed

openFATE: Unconfirmed

Requested by: Jeremy Thornton (leebrad)

I am sure this may have been proposed before, but just in case I think
it is a good move if the SUSE project would consider the following...
#Proposal Break 11.4+ distributions into the following downloadable
images from the opensuse.org site...
CURRENT OPTIONS
1. Gnome Desktop Live CD,
2. KDE Desktop Live CD,
3. Complete DVD
4. Net Install Image
ADD
5. Server and Virtualization CD
6. Netbook Live Image (for future netbook installs).

#Benefits
1.More accessible download options
2.Less frustrating if download fails
3.Less bandwidth requirements and cost to support the overall project,
no longer required to download DVD or other images.
4.More upfront flexibile installation offerings.

#Additional Considerations
I have read comments from users who either don't realize a server
option is built in or hate the idea of downloading the DVD just for a
light server install. These can be built easily and maintained with the
project since the intro of SUSE Studio, but are not necessarily posted
on the opensuse.org site so it somewhat defeats the purpose to
recommend SUSE Studio.

#1: Jan Engelhardt (jengelh) (2010-09-17 17:01:30)
Seems to imply more work than actual gain. The virtualization userbase
is not as strong as KDE or GNOME one.

#2: Jeremy Thornton (leebrad) (2010-09-17 17:52:16) (reply to #1)
The key being that SUSE will loose the benefit to compete with Ubuntu
on a quick server install CD, rather than downloading a desktop
oriented disc. One must understanding both convenience and marketing
for new users (as Ubuntu in this case) by offering it as a clear
distinct option that says we do servers not just desktop. Otherwise,
the beauty and advanced capabilities of openSUSE will only remain to
those who are technically literate and/or patient to download a 4gb DVD
and figure out how to install the Server installation. The Server and
Virtualization CD would contain both the stacks necessary to run web,
file, print, and virtual servers for the small office or home user. It
would not be just about a virtualization focus.

#3: Jeremy Thornton (leebrad) (2010-09-17 18:45:25) (reply to #2)
Actually, an additional thought it would mimic the SLED/SLES scenario.
One disc for desktop another for server. It works for Novell, RedHat,
and Ubuntu I would think it would work for the SUSE community.

+ #5: Jan Engelhardt (jengelh) (2010-09-19 17:16:09) (reply to #2)
+ There has been enough talk on the mailing list as to why SUSE is not
+ actually competing with Ubuntu anywhere. The single most important
+ statement was probably "übernoob segment". And that's not what SUSE
+ targets.

#4: Masim Sugianto (vavai) (2010-09-19 02:13:18)
I'm very surprise with the speed of Ubuntu 10.04 server edition. It
tooks only a few second for boot up and all the installed package are
base package. Providing server edition for openSUSE will make a
convenient way to build up server based on openSUSE

List Navigation