[openFATE 310560] Future Download Options for 11.4<
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 18:48:04 +0200 (CEST)
Feature changed by: Jeremy Thornton (leebrad)
Feature #310560, revision 2
Title: Future Download Options for 11.4<

Buildservice: Unconfirmed

openFATE: Unconfirmed

Requested by: Jeremy Thornton (leebrad)

I am sure this may have been proposed before, but just in case I think
it is a good move if the SUSE project would consider the following...
#Proposal Break 11.4+ distributions into the following downloadable
- images from the opensuse.org site... I know 1,2,5 are already options,
- but the others should also be considered. 1. Gnome Desktop Live CD
- (<700mb) 2. KDE Desktop Live CD (<700mb) 3. LXDE Desktop Live CD
- (<700mb) 4. Server and Virtualization CD (<700mb) 5. Complete DVD (4gb)
- 6. Meego/Netbook Live Image (for future netbook installs) Important:
- Options to install inside as Windows applications (like Ubuntu)
+ images from the opensuse.org site...
+ 1. Gnome Desktop Live CD,
+ 2. KDE Desktop Live CD,
+ 3. LXDE Desktop Live CD,
+ 4. Server and Virtualization CD,
+ 5. Complete DVD,
+ 6. Meego/Netbook Live Image (for future netbook installs).
+ 7. Net Install Image.
+
+ Important:Options to install inside as Windows applications (like
+ Ubuntu)
Important:Options to install onto USB drive (with GUI application like
- Ubuntu/Fedora) #Benefits 1.More accessible download options 2.Less
- frustrating if download fails 3.Less bandwidth requirements to support
- the project 4.More flexibile installation capabilities 5.These can be
- built easier and maintained with the project since the intro of SUSE
- Studio. #Additional Considerations 1.Besides possible acquisition of
- the SUSE project by some company the community must remain innovative
- and competitive against Fedora and Ubuntu. 2.Ubuntu and Fedora already
- offer these download and convenience options. 3.I have read comments
- from users who either don't realize a server option is built in or hate
- the idea of download the DVD just for a light server install.
+ Ubuntu/Fedora)
+
+ I know a few of the options above are available, but 3,4, and 6 would
+ be helpful to the community.
+
+ #Benefits
+ 1.More accessible download options
+ 2.Less frustrating if download fails
+ 3.Less bandwidth requirements to support the project
+ 4.More flexibile installation capabilities
+ 5.These can be built easier and maintained with the project since the
+ intro of SUSE Studio.
+
+ #Additional Considerations
+ 1.Besides possible acquisition of the SUSE project by some company the
+ community must remain innovative and competitive against Fedora and
+ Ubuntu.
+ 2.Ubuntu and Fedora already offer these download and convenience
+ options.
+ 3.I have read comments from users who either don't realize a server
+ option is built in or hate the idea of downloading the DVD just for a
+ light server install.

List Navigation