[openFATE 308304] Graphical installation should use native drivers
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 18:19:20 +0200 (CEST)
Feature changed by: jpxviii jpxviii (jpxviii)
Feature #308304, revision 6
Title: Graphical installation should use native drivers

+ Hackweek V: Unconfirmed
+ Priority
+ Requester: Mandatory

Requested by: Marco Poletti (poletti_marco)

The installation process now uses fbdev driver instead of native, for
compatibility reasons. I think it should use native drivers when it's
possible.
This would allow:
1) Support to widescreen resolutions, so for example you don't have to
use 1024x768 if you have a 1280x768 notebook.
2) Using 32 bit per pixel (if available) for installations, so we can
have nice shades instead of current ugly 16 bit/pixel shades.
This has been already reported as two wishes in bugzilla (bug 534895
and bug 535049), but was closed as Invalid because
Unless we decide to switch to native driver also for installation I
need to mark this one as INVALID.

So if you want wide resolutions and smoother shades, vote for this!

#1: Kshitij Kulshreshtha (polyconvex) (2010-02-15 23:22:42)
With KMS enable in the kernel even fbdev should give you the correct
resolution and depth on those platforms. The native driver just
provides 2d and 3d acceleration in this case, which is definitely not a
necessity during installation.

#2: Marco Poletti (poletti_marco) (2010-02-16 08:03:24) (reply to #1)
I agree that HW acceleration is not needed for installation.
This will still be desirable until KMS drivers are shipped for most
graphic cards . Do someone know which cards will be supported by KMS in
11.3?
NVIDIA? Which series?
INTEL? Which series? (I expect Intel to be supported on most cards)
ATI? Which series? (Until 2xxx? Until 4xxx? All of them?)