[openFATE 305664] Server CD
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 22:13:48 +0200 (CEST)
Feature changed by: jpxviii jpxviii (jpxviii)
Feature #305664, revision 38
Title: Server CD

Hackweek IV: Unconfirmed

openSUSE-11.2: Rejected by Stephan Kulow (coolo)
reject date: 2009-08-12 11:07:13
reject reason: no volunteer stepped up and it's not even clear what the
goal of this feature would be (see comments)
Projectmanager: Neutral

- Requester: Important
+ Requester: Mandatory

Requested by: Martin Schlander (cb400f)

Providing an official openSUSE server cd - with some often used server
software - and perhaps a lightweight window manager like icewm or
similar - would be a great thing for a number of reasons.
* openSUSE is generally considered a desktop centric distribution,
providing a server cd would do a heck of a lot to highligt the
excellent (home-)server qualities of openSUSE.
* The few people that realize that the openSUSE DVD/netinstall actually
offers text mode/server installation, are often discouraged by needing
to download a full DVD, or do troublesome and slow http/ftp
installation.
* Server users are generally more technical people, it would be
beneficial to attract more of these to the openSUSE project.
* More people using openSUSE on home servers would likely have spill-
over effects on SLES sales.
* An openSUSE server cd, would be an excellent response to Ubuntu
server edition and Microsoft Home Server.

#1: Robert Davies (robopensuse) (2009-01-16 16:20:09)
Please Market as Server and Virtualisation CD. An option to simple
install as guest OS would have market appeal. As someone who does use
Netinstall CD on occasion, and consider a distro for SOHO servers, a
key point for this sector is a reliable upgrade, without re-
installation. Ubuntu offers LTS and point updates for their server
edition. It's not just the availability of a CD that makes them
attractive.

#2: Robert Davies (robopensuse) (2009-01-16 16:23:54) (reply to #1)
A tuned version for Virtualised hardware not just 'badge' engineering
was my intention. Making things simple and quick for folk in a hurry on
Other OSes, would help build market share.

#3: Birger Kollstrand (mrkane) (2009-03-09 15:22:51)
I like the idea. It would be good to have a new openSUSE Server edition
with the forthcomming YaST WEB managment tool in 11.2 I'd also love to
see that this server has a "Home" focus. Make it easier for everyone to
rune a openSUSE "Home" ser ver on a PC or an embedded NAS or similar.

#4: Stephan Kulow (coolo) (2009-03-09 16:00:12)
Who wants to maintain that edition?
Who wants to define that edition?

#5: Unknown User (fate_noreply) (2009-03-09 17:05:05)
Seems a good idea to me too. I found by chance some info on Windows
Home Server, and I was wondering if it would be possible to do
something similar with openSUSE. The discussion was started here:
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-project/2009-03/msg00141.html
Let's see how it evolves ;-)

#6: Michael Löffler (michl19) (2009-06-05 15:12:38)
Hmm, its challenging for a feature request if even the requester rates
it just desirable. From the voting and my understanding I thinkt that's
a thing which should be considered. But as coolo already mentioned, who
will maintain it, who will define it? Do we have a server edition
already in the OBS?

#7: Stephan Kulow (coolo) (2009-06-09 12:19:28)
still looking for maintainer

#8: Stephen Shaw (decriptor) (2009-07-01 23:19:50)
#opensuse-server has been created to hopefully build a community around
this

#9: Luc de Louw (delouw) (2009-07-12 14:35:48)
IHMO this is not needed. On install just choose "minimal installation"
(somthing like this) as package group and install any needed packes
afterwards.
If you got your custom selection just save it or clone the system with
autoyast.
As Coolo outlines: There must be a maintainer for this. If some persons
(more than one person please) volunteers, why not.

#14: Robert Davies (robopensuse) (2009-11-12 11:46:41) (reply to #9)
The point would be to make a faster more efficient install, for those
who aren't familiar with SuSE ways of doing things.  It takes a while
to understand and appreciate YaST, and  they will often be too rushed
to figure out how to do the selections
The Server CD could use images like the desktop's have to create
faster, say a LAMP server, file & print server, to reduce clicks to get
something useful.

#10: George Pantazis (gpant) (2009-07-12 22:41:02)
When I voted for this feature I thought this was about a Home Server in
the same league as Windows Home Server.
People that are going to install it on a real server would use a
netinstall or a special build through studio, they wouldnt care much
about a text only CD.
It would be interesting if this FATE had the goal to create something
like WHS that would use a lightweight WM, a special YaST Module that
will be easier to use by people that are not technical and would
utilize the new http access to YaST. It would require that most of the
YaST modules would have to hide the more advanced features (under a
Advanced Features tab?:-) and even provide new modules with
functionality specific to Home Servers for example setup Mediatomb and
Gallery2.

#11: wilson coronado barrantes (wecb_xxx) (2009-08-04 19:31:20)
I really feel uncomfortable with ubuntu server(i prefer opensuse is
more robust and easy to manage, i feel opensuse is more like a linux
server with a desktop on top), but we have to choose it because for 2
reason's: firts LTS and second is more more easy to install because is
more easy to get a cd than a DVD. Opensuse must have a cd server.

#13: Robert Davies (robopensuse) (2009-11-12 11:38:54) (reply to #11)
There are Net Install CD's only 100 or 150 MiB, which lets you only
download what you use, you don't need DVD to have the full install
options.

#12: Raimo Schmidt (raimoschmidt) (2009-08-18 07:35:06)
Great Idea. If SUSE will have Server, developers will be able to
imcrease attention to Server Functions
Such is MS AD integration (I mean let SUSE Server be your Windows
domain controller)
Also LTS will be good point for certifications in some countries