[openFATE 309145] Improve Bittorrent support
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 21:55:51 +0200 (CEST)
Feature changed by: jpxviii jpxviii (jpxviii)
Feature #309145, revision 3
Title: Improve Bittorrent support

+ openSUSE-11.4: Unconfirmed
+ Priority
+ Requester: Important

Requested by: Shashank Sondhi (dreamtrip)

I've seen that transmission and Moon, the bitttorrent applications tend
to be MUCH slower on openSUSE.
Whether the firewall causes this or maybe it's just a problem with
memory footprint (but I know the footprint to be low on other linuxes
namely, ubuntu, linux mint, centos)
Please rectify this.

Use Case:
E.g. When I minimize the app to the taskbar and then click it, it shows
the main window. On clicking in it it would turn grey (indicating the
application was not responding) and all othe rapplications would be
slowed down substantially.

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: Bittorrent is a very popular network albeit under dispute
for copyright infringement. But the use should not allow execution
hurdles. It's support in openSUSE, being a server operating system,
should be top-notch. Not as if it is catching up to windows in this
regard.

#1: Jimmy Berry (boombatower) (2010-03-08 16:55:22)
Seems like some proper data is in order, such as:
* application(s) used
* proper comparison with windows using same and different clients and a
local source to eliminate network issues
I doubt the factualness of this based on the description and doesn't
seem like a general suse issue, more like an issue for the individual
bittorrent applications.
Personally, I have downloaded the suse dvd and other such things at the
maximum speed allowed by my ISP so I highly doubt there is an issue
here.