[openFATE 308351] Make Live Updates Easy
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 20:18:36 +0200 (CEST)
Feature changed by: jpxviii jpxviii (jpxviii)
Feature #308351, revision 15
Title: Make Live Updates Easy

openSUSE-11.3: Evaluation
Projectmanager: Desirable

+ openSUSE-11.4: Unconfirmed
+ Priority
+ Requester: Mandatory

Info Provider: (Novell)
Requested by: Andreas Jaeger (a_jaeger)

The infrastructure is there for Live updates and it works with "zypper
dup" but there are many manual steps. This is too complicated, users
need first to google for the details before using it.
We need an easy way to update from 11.2 to Factory, from 11.2 to 11.3
and from Factory to 11.3. Easy means: A single command line that does
by default the update from 11.2 to 11.3 and offers the others as well.

Relations:
- Product definition documentation (url:
http://en.opensuse.org/Product_Management/Code11/Upgrade)

#1: Duncan Mac-Vicar (dmacvicar) (2009-11-18 10:32:11)
This is already implemented.
The product definition and release package have a mechanism which,
after upgrading the definition via a normal update, the defnition can
tell which are the possible upgrade paths (11.x+1, Factory) and whether
they should be announced to the user or not.
The PackageKit ZYpp backend reads this upgrade paths and notifies the
user via the desktop using the PackageKit distupgrade-available signal.
If the user clicks to continue, a custom distro action can be started,
in this case, we start YaST wagon, which is a module which first
presents the user all available upgrade paths, or allows to enter a
custom repository, then updates the stack and itself and then performs
the dup algorithm.
This infrastructure has not been tested because it needs some
coordination overhead.

#6: Michael Löffler (michl19) (2010-01-18 13:53:59) (reply to #1)
Andreas, is that what Duncan describes sufficient for you?

#2: Andreas Jaeger (a_jaeger) (2009-11-18 12:13:09)
This would mean an upgrade offer for everybody that currently runs 11.1
/11.2 to the next version triggered by a patch from our side, correct?

#3: Duncan Mac-Vicar (dmacvicar) (2009-11-18 12:59:50) (reply to #2)
Yes. A patch to the update stack may be required first, as I said, the
feature has not been tested.

#4: Victor Ong (acuvic) (2009-11-24 23:42:49) (reply to #3)
As a Linux newbie, I would like an upgrade path from openSUSE 11.1 to
11.2 that is simple to implement. Duncan's suggestion "This is already
implemented ...." is not understandable by me and I just want to use my
computer for w/processing, s/sheets, Youtube, emails, picture albums,
etc (you get the idea). I dont want to have to learn convoluted command
line acrobatics, strange acronyms, "dependency problems", repositories,
etc. Please dont tell me to go forth and multiply with Windows, you
Linux supergeeks - most distro's have come a long way to make a
computer with Linux useable to ordinary mortals. Wonderful one click
install beats m/soft offerings hands down. A one click upgrade from
11.1 to 11.2 would be heaven!

#5: Duncan Mac-Vicar (dmacvicar) (2009-11-25 10:32:36) (reply to #4)
Excuse me, but you either don't understand the problem or have trouble
to read, or both.
First, I was describing a friendly "bubble" that tells you that your
distro has a new release and invites you to click it. If you click you
are presented a wizard which after some "Next" steps upgrades your
distro. This is not far from One Click Install. You were confused
because I was explaining Andreas how the infrastructure works. But you
should not make noise in a productivity tool if you are not sure you
are contributing with relevant information.
The current One-Click can't be used in a distribution upgrade, for a
simple reason. The update operation is non-destructive, but the
distribution version jump is. So the user has to deal with dependency
decisions anyway. For simple cases where the user has the 11.1 repos
and want to jump to 11.2, wagon wizard will probably not show any
conflict, because coolo can test those upgrades before releasing the
newest.
However, your "youtube email picture album" innocent user sometimes is
not that innocent and has 45 development and unstable repositories
added which make the solver unable to upgrade without removing some
packages. Those decisions need to be asked explicitly.
I think using the PackageKit applet as a notification, and then using
Wagon as a wizard, can provide a close to few clicks experience.
What I think it also may be interesting is to upgrade the one-click-
install description to allows dist-upgrades against a repository in the
description. The handler could call wagon (or use it somehow) if
possible. Or just reuse its modules. This would also solve the problem
of upgrading KDE from a web link. Adding Benji as Technical contact.