[openFATE 308388] Automatically propose to install firmware or proprietary driver
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 19:56:42 +0200 (CEST)
Feature changed by: jpxviii jpxviii (jpxviii)
Feature #308388, revision 4
Title: Automatically propose to install firmware or proprietary driver

+ openSUSE-11.4: Unconfirmed
+ Priority
+ Requester: Mandatory

Requested by: Mindaugas Baranauskas (embar-)

Ubuntu system's one nice tool:
always notificates and proposes to install firmware and proprietary
drive.
OpenSUSE should also!
Now, for example, openSUSE installs b43-fwcutter, but don’t inform,
that I need to run /usr/sbin/install_bcm43xx_firmware. Now OpenSUSE
installs nv, but It would be nice to automatically notificate about
possibility to install proprietary nvidia driver

#1: Jan Engelhardt (jengelh) (2010-02-04 20:27:00)
Just because Ubuntu does something does not mean we have to do the
same. And then there's also the legal side which you have seemed to
forgot.