[openFATE 307551] Booting Live OS from a USB drive
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 19:28:17 +0200 (CEST)
Feature changed by: jpxviii jpxviii (jpxviii)
Feature #307551, revision 6
Title: Booting Live OS from a USB drive

Hackweek V: Unconfirmed

- Requester: Desirable
+ Requester: Important

Requested by: Ben Metzner (bman22)

I think it would be great to allow for a live session to be run via a
usb key. Almost every live distro i know supports it as a feature, and
even a lot of non-live-specific distro's have the option to run live
from a usb key. If this could be incorperated in 11.2, or 11.3, it
would be great. Just providing an ISO file to image to a usb drive
would be great, seeing as the current images won't boot from a usb
key.

Use Case:
Somebody who wants to be able to easily carry around multiple linux
distrobutions, and boot them from a usb drive, or memory card reader in
their computer.

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: I want this specifically so i can image some sd cards
with my favorite distro's (OpenSuSE obviously being one of those), and
just reboot the computer with a different sd card when i want a
different distro, instead of having to carry around multiple cd drives,
as well as an external cd player for my netbook.

#1: H. Hansen (cyberbeat) (2010-01-14 20:58:08)
Additionally I recommend to use casper fs for persistent storage. It
has the advantage over hybrid iso, that the usb stick can be used as
before and the installation on it is non destructive. And a gui utility
(or rebranding of an existint utility) for making such an installation
on usb stick easier for windows&linux.

#2: Bernhard Wiedemann (bmwiedemann) (2010-07-14 04:16:49)
Which parts of the above can not be done with current LiveCD isos?
You can write them with dd onto USB storage of 1GB or more and use the
remainder as persistent file storage.
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Live_USB_stick