[openFATE 307813] Include skype on opensuse 11.3X
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 23:37:05 +0200 (CEST)
Feature changed by: jpxviii jpxviii (jpxviii)
Feature #307813, revision 5
Title: Include skype on opensuse 11.3X

+ openSUSE-11.4: Unconfirmed
+ Priority
+ Requester: Important

Info Provider: Glenn Doig (doiggl)
Requested by: Glenn Doig (doiggl)

Include skype on a opensuse 11.3X Non-oss section (if correct) Sourced
skype binary from
http://www.skype.com/intl/en/download/skype/linux/choose/ Additional
information from http://en.opensuse.org/Skype Please ensure skype
installs in a opensuse 64 bit (x86_64) installation  as well - From the
link - it includes the following: You will need at least these packages
before installing Skype.   - install libqt4 libqt4-x11 libqt4-dbus-1
libsigc++2   - If you are running on a 64-bit platform, you will also
need the *-32bit RPM packages, since Skype is a 32-bit
application.     install  libqt4-32bit libqt4-dbus-1-32bit libqt4-x11-
32bit libsigc++2-32bit Thankyou Glenn

#1: Holger Dyroff (escubar) (2009-09-24 14:42:23)
The challenge is the legal structure of this. Novell has not been able
to aquire fair redistribution rights from Skype in the past. We tried
several times, but till now the feedback was that Skype must be the
exclusive VoIP solution in order for this to happen. When Skype is
under new ownership we will try again but my hope is not high. We do
not want to distribute Skype if this means to exclude all other open
source implementations who do any form of VoIP.
Have you looked at the license, do you see any change here from the
past?

#2: Markus K (kamikazow) (2009-11-15 22:45:04) (reply to #1)
A "fetch skype" package (similar to fetchmsfonts) would be a nice
solution.

BTW: Skype has announced recently that the Linux client (likely only
the GUI, not the actual communication libraries) will be open sourced
in the future. It'll likely still not meet the standards for the FOSS
repo, but hopefully at least the distribution restrictions will be
loosened.