[openFATE 310029] Provide link to instructions for placing live CD on USB on main download page
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 20:06:38 +0200 (CEST)
Feature changed by: Jimmy Berry (boombatower)
Feature #310029, revision 7
Title: Provide link to instructions for placing live CD on USB on main
download page

Requested by: Jimmy Berry (boombatower)

The live CDs on http://software.opensuse.org reference the fact that
they can be placed on a USB instead of a CD, but there does not appear
to be a link to any instructions on how to do so. I think adding a link
to something like  http://en.opensuse.org/Live_USB_stick
(http://en.opensuse.org/Live_USB_stick)  would be
an excellent addition.

Use Case:
Users who wish to try out SUSE and don't want to burn a CD don't have
to go fishing around and googling about how to place on USB.

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: Easier to get ahold of suse and make use of the feature
allowing it to be placed on USB drive.

#1: Greg Freemyer (gregfreemyer) (2010-06-26 19:22:51)
I actually looked for that myself a week or so ago.  Was surprised the
link wasn't already there.

#2: Bernhard Wiedemann (bmwiedemann) (2010-07-14 04:22:28)
current URL is now
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Live_USB_stick

#3: Jimmy Berry (boombatower) (2010-07-31 01:07:20)
Seems like a really simple thing to implement, any chance we can
attract those with the ability to do so?

#4: Pavol Rusnak (prusnak) (2010-08-01 10:35:35)
There is a Getting Help box on software.o.o (on the right). It contains
a link Installation Guides. It will take you to the wiki and there you
can select USB Installation. So the feature is somehow done. I'm not
saying it cannot be done in a better way.

+ #5: Jimmy Berry (boombatower) (2010-08-02 20:06:28)
+
+ In the "How to Proceed" section there is:
+
+ "After having successfully downloaded the ISO image(s), burn the image
+ (s) with your favorite burning application to a DVD or CD. Please
+ do  not  burn a data DVD/CD, but rather choose the option to burn an
+ ISO image. More information"
+
+ The more information link points
+ to http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Download_help#Burn_the_ISO_image.28s.29.
Somewhere
+ on that wiki page and/or in the previous text it should link to the
+ Live USB stuff.
+
+ I never even noticed box to the right, but that is nice to have. Since
+ there are already related instructions to"what do I do with this .iso
+ file" below I think we ought to add instructions for Live USB in one
+ manor or another. I am open to suggestions.
+