[openFATE 309503] Beautiful one-click-install
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 05:04:10 +0200 (CEST)
Feature changed by: Rajko Matovic (rajko_m)
Feature #309503, revision 10
Title: Beautiful one-click-install

Requested by: Cornelius Schumacher (cschum)
Developer: (Novell)

Garrett made a great mockup
(http://ux.suse.de/~garrett/public/hackweek/oneclick/mockups/oneclick-mockup-disable%
20widgets.png) for a much more beautiful one click installer some time
ago. It would be great to get this implemented.
I think it could be done with a small Qt application which uses libzypp
or PackageKit or something like that as the backend to do the actual
installation.
I won't be able to spend much time on it, but Will said he might be
interested. Maybe also one of the YaST guys could join.

#1: Garrett LeSage (glesage) (2010-05-21 12:11:45)
I would be quite happy to help make this a reality.
When talking with Cornelius a short while ago, we realized that it
could be even simpler (for the main flow at least). It would be
fantastic if we have something great at the end of Hackweek... and I
think that's completely possible.

+ #2: Rajko Matovic (rajko_m) (2010-05-24 05:03:47)
+ One of beautiful ideas in this proposal is to point out user that
+ repository must be trusted before actually installing anything.
+ The missing piece is extended help how to check validity of the
+ repository GPG keys. It is the same in YaST. You have some numbers on
+ the screen and you have to trust them. How that works, how to check
+ keys, when and why you can and should trust them is not explained.
+ 1) User can cancel operation, which means that repository will not be
+ added and software that he wants will not be installed. or
+ 2) Blindly accept key import and defeat purpose of this step.
+

List Navigation