[openFATE 308814] Default repositories to not-autorefresh
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 09:12:40 +0200 (CEST)
Feature changed by: Jimmy Berry (boombatower)
Feature #308814, revision 5
Title: Default repositories to not-autorefresh

Requested by: Jimmy Berry (boombatower)

Due to the extra load time required to refresh repositories on auto-
fresh when opening the software manager or any other access to it, I go
through all my repositories and disable auto-refresh.
It would seem most users would be happier with a quicker load time,
since keeping the repositories up-to-date should be done via automatic
updates are manual refreshing. As an alternative, perhaps have a auto-
refresh after x-days or somethign by default, but everytime it loads is
a bit much and having to manually go through change them all is rather
annoying.
I am open to suggestions, but I feel this can be improved.

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: Make software management more responsive to users and
faster to load, giving a better user experience.

#1: Stanley Miller (stan_qaz) (2010-02-12 20:35:32)
It would be good to figure out a way that you could start the program
managment module without the long delay you currently get but turning
off the refresh isn't something I'd be in favor of since I want the
option to select the latest version of anything available. The current
timeout is something like 10 minutes that make it a real pain to come
in and out several times when installing/updating stuff.
Coming up with a way to keep the repositories automatically updated,
possibly daily, would be good enough for me. Anything that could be
done to speed the refresh process would also be an improvement.

#2: Georg Müller (georgmueller) (2010-02-16 16:35:59)
I would disable auto-refresh for static repositories.
Once released, oss, non-oss, debug and source do not change anymore.
For other repositories, I prefer auto-refresh. If I want to disable
auto-refresh, I can do this after adding.

+ #3: Jimmy Berry (boombatower) (2010-05-21 09:12:32)
+ The key with the auto-refresh is that even when disabled...the system
+ updater applet will still refresh them. It seems that the auto-refresh
+ just triggers it as well when you open the Yast->Software Management
+ tool which is rather annoying since no one wants to sit there and watch
+ it update them.
+ You can also do the zypper refresh and zypper up|dup from command line
+ to force, but for speed and usability of UI it would be nice to default
+ to disabled.