[New: openFATE 309580] Push Server
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 17:46:03 +0200 (CEST)
Feature added by: Alex Chun Yin Lau (allau)

Feature #309580, revision 1
Title: Push Server

Requested by: Alex Chun Yin Lau (allau)

I've been thinking about this idea for some time now. And there are couple
reasons that I like this idea, but instead of telling you the reason why I like
it. First of all I need define what I mean by Remote Dbus? As a matter of fact,
I don't really know what to call it at the beginning with, I kind of demo it in
the GnomeSummit as the future desktop combine with web service. You can call it
WebRPC or PushBaseMessaging etc. And here is the definition of it and maybe you
can help me naming it. First of all, it can reduce the server bandwidth usage
by send information just to the client who is interested and login. By logging
in mean you are actually holding a active session in the server. Here is the
scenario, our web server want to tell the user that it is going into
maintenance mode for an hour. Traditionally you will send out a system wide
email to all user and notify them. However, it is kind of like UDP, when the
user is not actually using or planning on using within that specific time
frame. This email almost act like a spam. And even worst is when the user login
to their email account after the fact, this event already expired and it really
waste a lot of bandwidth. This specific protocol should allow you to let the
server send the message to the client actively interested in this topic ( kind
of like twitter) instead of passively subscripted by the client itself. Second
key idea is from the client side. This service can send message from the server
and no need the client to pull, which fit the need of reduce network traffic
and power consumption. It will greatly improve the battery consumption for
different handle client. If you compare current technology that mostly fit our
desktop nowaday, you will see lot of pulling and no way to let the device /
client going to sleep or idle. With a server active pushing message to the
client, we can save not only the bandwidth and the power for the client, but
the server can also have reduce load by having lesser hit. Third key idea is
unlike the web service, there will not be any type checking and interface
definition. Client know where to call if they know. What to call if they know
and How does it return if they know. Meaning when then client starting a call
to the server for a service, the client need know the uri ahead of time, know
the interface ahead of time and parameter in/out ready ahead of time. If
something go wrong, it just goes wrong. No need for error checking over head.

Use Case:
You subscript to the push service and when there is information that you
interested, server will push to you instead of pulling from the client.

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: 1) Reduce server side bandwidth 2) Reduce client side pulling 3)
Save battery life.

List Navigation