[openFATE 308466] kbasic
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 20:18:57 +0200 (CEST)
Feature changed by: Clifton Hodges (Star_Gazer)
Feature #308466, revision 10
Title: kbasic

Package Wishlist: New

Requested by: Lee Matheson (oldcpu)

KBasic is a programming language which is simply intuitive and easy to
learn. It is a new programming language, a further BASIC dialect and is
related to VB.NET(TM), Visual Basic(R), Visual Basic for Application(R)
and Java(TM). It combines many features of those tools and comes with
built-in backward support for those tools and QBasic(R) as it is 100%
syntax compatible to VB6, VBA and QBasic(R).
A big advantage is its reasonably similar look/feel will mean users
migrating to openSUSE Linux from MS-Windows will be more at home with a
programming language reasonably similar to what they are used to.

#1: Lee Matheson (oldcpu) (2009-12-05 11:44:48)
Web page with more information on KBasic to assist in any evaluation as
to whether it is worth the effort to include in openSUSE
package:  http://kbasic.com/

#2: Lee Matheson (oldcpu) (2009-12-05 14:51:47)
Note - independant of what ever one may think of users migrating from a
"Redmond" based operating system, in my view openSUSE needs a basic
visual programming language for all openSUSE users who want a simple
programming environment.
It does not matter how the users arrived at openSUSE, nor where they
originated from.  openSUSE needs such a programming language
environment. This package can provide that environment.

#3: Rick Beauchamp (techwiz03) (2009-12-05 19:27:50)
kBasic offers choice in real RAD for the Linux system. Anything that
enables development of new apps for Linux should be considered to for
inclusion and this is a prime selection. I have manually installed it,
and started testing RAD under it. It isn't perfect but then neither are
the tools already included in the distro. Point is it offers the choice
that Linux is about.

+ #6: Clifton Hodges (star_gazer) (2010-05-16 20:18:20) (reply to #3)
+ Ditto.
+ What I love about KBasic is so much coding that is familiar to me, e.g.
+ QuickBasic 4.5 which I used back in the DOS days. This century I was
+ using Visual Basic Express 2005, so KBasic has some similiar usages
+ there as well.
+ Oh. Note: KBasic 2 will become Q7Basic this year, which at this point,
+ is scheduled to be released 05/23/2010;
+ More info, downloads, etc. can be found at:
+ http://q7basic.org
+ Regards,
+ Clifton
+
+
+
+
+
+

#4: Stephan Binner (beineri) (2009-12-27 18:03:06)
Duplicate of https://features.opensuse.org/308471

#5: Andreas Jaeger (a_jaeger) (2010-01-19 11:31:31) (reply to #4)
308471 has been marked as duplicate of this.