[openFATE 309237] Bigger default panel
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 23:21:06 +0200 (CEST)
Feature changed by: Jan Engelhardt (jengelh)
Feature #309237, revision 3
Title: Bigger default panel

Requested by: Mircea Kitsune (mirceakitsune)

This is a minor change introduced in 11.2 which I believe Opensuse
might have been better without. I find the default panel in 11.2 / 11.3
milestone 3 (KDE 4) a bit too small. It's closer to the Windows
Taskbar's size, but for Linux I think the previous size was better (I
like the default one in 11.1 personally).
In my opinion, the current size is not only a bit uglier (the panel's
too small compared to everything else) but also makes it harder to
click on some buttons, like desktops which are vertically half the size
of the pointer. Here are a few screenshots showing the default panel
I'm addressing:
http://www.linuxforu.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/04-KDE4-Desktop.png --
http://jjtcomputing.co.uk/images/opensuse11.2-desktop.png
I believe 35-40 would be a nice default size, the current default
apparently being 30 (measured in units shown when clicking Panel
Options and dragging the Height slider in 11.2). Of course everyone
resizes it to their own like after installing Opensuse, so this hardly
has any importance. Just a suggestion for what I believe would be a
better default if anyone else agrees.

+ #1: Jan Engelhardt (jengelh) (2010-05-06 23:21:02)
+ The panel, well, I guess it's ok as a panel - what's not ok is that the
+ logout/power button in the rear right are utterly small (because two
+ are crammed in vertically, making them like what, 8 pixels or
+ something). And touchpads are not the most precise things these days :-
+ /