[openFATE 309221] Simplify adding OBS repos
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 17:45:22 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Stefan Majewsky (majewsky)
Feature #309221, revision 2
Title: Simplify adding OBS repos

Requested by: Stefan Majewsky (majewsky)

When I want to add a build service repository, I have to find a quite
cryptic URL, such as
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Factory:/Desktop/openSUSE_11.2.
Much of the information in this URL is redundant and error-prone, such
as the domain and the distribution version.
It would be much nicer if Zypper and YaST knew about the repo structure
of the OBS, so I could type something like obs://KDE:KDE4:Factory:
Desktop, and have Zypper/YaST figure out the rest.
Extra points if browsers could figure out that "obs://" URLs should be
handled by YaST.

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: This reduces error sources. For example, if I provided
some repository that provides some closed-source drivers, I would
currently have to provide a gigantic list of repository URLs for all
supported openSUSE versions. With the proposed change, the description
for how to use such a repository would boil down to: 1. Add the
repository "obs://home:foobar:importantdrivers". 2. Do a system
upgrade. With the browser integration, we could even have something
like a one-click installation for repositories.

+ #1: Stefan Majewsky (majewsky) (2010-03-26 17:45:16)
+ It seems like the submission form has eaten my additional "Why do we
+ want this feature?" explanation. Here it goes:
+ This reduces error sources. For example, if I provided some repository
+ that provides some closed-source drivers, I would currently have to
+ provide a gigantic list of repository URLs for all supported openSUSE
+ versions.
+ With the proposed change, the description for how to use such a
+ repository would boil down to:
+ 1) Add the repository "obs://home:foobar:importantdrivers".
+ 2) Do a system upgrade.
+ With the browser integration, we could even have something like a one-
+ click installation for repositories.

List Navigation