[New: openFATE 309221] Simplify adding OBS repos
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 17:41:04 +0100 (CET)
Feature added by: Stefan Majewsky (majewsky)

Feature #309221, revision 1
Title: Simplify adding OBS repos

Requested by: Stefan Majewsky (majewsky)

When I want to add a build service repository, I have to find a quite cryptic
URL, such as
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Factory:/Desktop/openSUSE_11.2.
Much of the information in this URL is redundant and error-prone, such as the
domain and the distribution version.

It would be much nicer if Zypper and YaST knew about the repo structure of the
OBS, so I could type something like obs://KDE:KDE4:Factory:Desktop, and have
Zypper/YaST figure out the rest.

Extra points if browsers could figure out that "obs://" URLs should be handled
by YaST.

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: This reduces error sources. For example, if I provided some
repository that provides some closed-source drivers, I would currently have to
provide a gigantic list of repository URLs for all supported openSUSE versions.
With the proposed change, the description for how to use such a repository
would boil down to: 1. Add the repository "obs://home:foobar:importantdrivers".
2. Do a system upgrade. With the browser integration, we could even have
something like a one-click installation for repositories.

List Navigation