[New: openFATE 309208] Group of commonly used or favourite modules in YaST
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 20:42:19 +0100 (CET)
Feature added by: Atri Bhattacharya (badshah400)

Feature #309208, revision 1
Title: Group of commonly used or favourite modules in YaST

Requested by: Atri Bhattacharya (badshah400)

The present first appearance of YaST control centre is overwhelming for a
typical desktop user (LDAP, Kerberos, etc. are terms he might never have heard
of), and full reorganisation of the control centre has been rejected for 11.3
due to lack of resources.

I request the addition of a separate group of modules (presently we have
Software, Hardware, Security and Users, etc) that combine a user's 5 (or
whatever) most frequently used modules in YaST. This group could be shown as a
separate group alongwith the other groups or as a list in the left sidebar of
the control centre (below the group-list) just like it is done with "Common
tasks" in the Gnome-Control-Centre for example. This would benefit the common
user a lot who will have his most frequently used modules at an easily
identifiable location, and will not have to scroll down a sea of modules for
his purpose.

The selection of commonly used modules may be done either dynamically by
registering counts for each module launched or by letting the user add it to
"favourites" by right-clicking on a module (like application-browser in gnome,
where one can right click on an application and add it to favourites).

I hope this would not take a lot of resources, in any case this should be
easier than a full reorganisation of the control centre.

Use Case:
Without feature: Average desktop user "Joe" starts uo YaST for the first time,
looks at all the puzzling modules, gets confused and overwhelmed. He has to
locate his module with some difficulty.

With feature: Joe starts up YaST presumably for "Adding users", finds the "Add
User" module on the left sidebar (or among the first few modules) and clicks on
it.

List Navigation