[openFATE 309183] Localized package descriptions
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 16:59:50 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Johannes Obermayr (jobermayr)
Feature #309183, revision 3
Title: Localized package descriptions

Buildservice: Unconfirmed

Requested by: Markus K (kamikazow)

Currently software descriptions are only available in English, even
though YaST/zypper itself is translated.
Solution: Build Service should extract the translated names and
descriptions from included .desktop files. YaST/zypper should display
the correct description based on system language setting.

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: Improve the accessibility for users who don't understand
English.

+ #1: Johannes Obermayr (jobermayr) (2010-03-17 16:58:24)
+ AFAIK it is not possible:
+
+ Markus, we two are both German KDE translators.
+
+ When translating KDE we have Scripty which looks in .desktop files for
+ i.e. the "Name=untranslated" tag and extracts it to desktop_*.pot. We
+ translate it and store it in a desktop_*.po on KDE's SVN Server. Next
+ day Scripty updates the related .desktop file with i.e. "Name[de]
+ =tranlation" tag. I.e. KDE and Gnome can handle this new tag.
+
+ With RPM we have "Summary:" tag and "%descripion" section. But AFAIK
+ RPM cannot handle a "Summary[de]:" tag and "%description[de]" section.
+
+ So first of all RPM must be able to handle tags for translations ...
+
+ And second problem is that every time a script or (wo)men updates the
+ spec file OBS triggers a rebuild ...
+
+ But it could also be that I have wrong information about RPM ...

List Navigation