[openFATE 309187] Stop terminal giberish on cat binary_files (Shift out character 0x0e)
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 19:51:34 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Paul Dufresne (dufrp)
Feature #309187, revision 2
Title: Stop terminal giberish on cat binary_files (Shift out character
0x0e)

Requester: Neutral

Requested by: Paul Dufresne (dufrp)

I sometimes screw my terminal by mistakenly cating a binary file.
- If you don't know what I means, open a terminal and type:
- echo $'0x0e'
+ If you don't know what I means, open a terminal (e.g. ctrl-alt-F2, not
+ gnome-terminal) and type:
+ echo $'\x0e'
Then do ls
To fix it type:
- echo $'/0x0f'
+ echo $'\x0f'
This is Shift Out and Shift in characters, as explained in:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shift_Out_and_Shift_In_characters

I would think this is pretty much not used anymore. And that it cause
more trouble than it helps today, now that we begin to use Unicode
- characters. So I propose stopping interpreting the Shift Out character
- (0x0e).
+ characters. So I propose to ignore the Shift Out character (0x0e).
+ Well, an alternative could be to automatically do a Shift In character
+ after newline or after 200 characters, but that feels ugly.

List Navigation