[openFATE 308453] Integrate patch (update) into software management module
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 17:10:18 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Todd R (TheBlackCat)
Feature #308453, revision 3
Title: Integrate patch (update) into software management module

Requested by: Todd R (theblackcat)

Currently there are two different modules for managing software, the
software management module and the online update module.  They are
mostly the same in terms of the user interface, you can search and
install software, browse patterns, groups, repositories, and more or
less do most common package management tasks from both.  The only major
differences that I can see are that the software management module does
not let you install patches, the online update module has an extra menu
(patch, which just has duplicates of most of the actions in the
"package" menu), and online update does not display as much information
when doing the installation (like a remaining time estimate).
I think this is a fairly redundant approach, there is really no reason
I can think of why the software management module can't have the
patches tab, and why patches can't use the same menu as packages since
they have mostly the same items.  So I think combining them into a
single module would be more efficient and easier to maintain.
You could still have the two modules listed in YaST if you want,
clicking on the "software managment" module would just start you off in
the search tab while the "online update" module would start you off in
the patches tab.  But I think it would be better still if you just had
one module.  When the software management module opens it checks if
there are any patches, if there are it displays them and if not it goes
straight to the "search" tab (or your last-used tab).

+ #1: Todd R (theblackcat) (2010-03-15 17:10:12)
+ This might be a duplicate of https://features.opensuse.org/308147,
+ although this idea goes into more detail.