[New: openFATE 309187] Stop terminal giberish on cat binary_files (Shift out character 0x0e)
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 16:55:52 +0100 (CET)
Feature added by: Paul Dufresne (dufrp)

Feature #309187, revision 1
Title: Stop terminal giberish on cat binary_files (Shift out character 0x0e)

Requester: Neutral

Requested by: Paul Dufresne (dufrp)

I sometimes screw my terminal by mistakenly cating a binary file.
If you don't know what I means, open a terminal and type:
echo $'0x0e'
Then do ls
To fix it type:
echo $'/0x0f'
This is Shift Out and Shift in characters, as explained in:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shift_Out_and_Shift_In_characters

I would think this is pretty much not used anymore. And that it cause more
trouble than it helps today, now that we begin to use Unicode characters. So I
propose stopping interpreting the Shift Out character (0x0e).

List Navigation