[openFATE 302446] Power consumption gauge
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 13:06:39 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Andreas Jaeger (a_jaeger)
Feature #302446, revision 47
Title: Power consumption gauge

openSUSE-11.0: Rejected by Gary Ekker (gekker)
reject date: 2008-05-09 10:28:15
reject reason: Nothing done for 11.0.

openSUSE-11.1: Rejected by JP Rosevear (jproseve)
reject date: 2008-09-10 16:50:33
reject reason: Dependent feature not complete.
Projectmanager: Important

openSUSE-11.2: Rejected by Stephan Kulow (coolo)
reject date: 2009-08-12 12:06:48
reject reason: too late for 11.2
Projectmanager: Desirable

- openSUSE-11.3: Evaluation
+ openSUSE-11.3: Rejected by (a_jaeger)
+ reject date: 2010-03-15 13:06:36
+ reject reason: I'm not seeing anybody to taggle this for the near
+ future.

Info Provider: (Novell)
Requested by: Frank Seidel (fseidel)
Developer: (Novell)

Some kind of "power meter" would be good to have. It could be
integrated into the system monitor applet or in kpowersave/gnome-power-
manager (to be discussed).
Its intent is to make the user aware when the system starts to hog
power (e.g. after starting some bad behaving application that polls
"expensive" hardware all the time). Some kind of "power meter" would be
good to have. It could be integrated into the system monitor applet or
in kpowersave/gnome-power-manager (to be discussed).

Relations:
- provide common source for a overall battery time information
(feature/id: 303749)

Documentation Impact:
Needs to be documented

#1: Michael Löffler (michl19) (2008-02-01 11:56:22)
In regards of Green IT theme for SLE 11 this sounds like useful thing.

#2: Stefan Behlert (sbehlert) (2008-05-29 23:23:48) (reply to #1)
Right..

#4: JP Rosevear (jproseve) (2008-06-02 13:52:01)
Christian, can we actually aggregate power consumption information from
somewhere? If so, getting a gui on top of it should be straight
forward.

#5: Christian Zoz (zoz) (2008-06-19 15:03:57)
Power consumption information is only available when the system runs on
battery. But i guess on ac-power this info is less interesting anyway.
We can get this information via ACPI. Not really power consumption, but
power drain of each battery. I suggest that hal can provide individual
drain and aggregate overall power consumption. For that have a look at
feature:
#303749: provide common source for a overall battery time information

#6: Rodrigo Moya (rodrigomoya) (2008-09-08 14:43:35)
For gnome-power-manager, we already have something like this (right-
click -> power history), it shows lots of information about powe
consumption. Isn't this enough?

#7: JP Rosevear (jproseve) (2008-09-10 16:49:55)
Fate 303749 is not complete, so I think I have to reject this.

#9: ali ershad-manesh (gorbehnare) (2009-04-30 07:09:01)
I'm not a developer, and I just know a little about computers, however
I don't think the computer can measure power consumption in the first
place. I don't think the Power Supplies are smart enough or connected
enough yet to give that information. At least to the best of my
knowledge.
On a laptop running on battery some power drain can be calculated to
estimate the battery life. On a desktop... I don't think it's going to
work.
I have a UPS that comes with a monitoring software that shows the power
consumption . It runs a little Java based GUI that shows power status.
Unfortunately the UPS software only works in Windows and is very
hardware specific to this particular UPS. If someone needs these kind
of information a UPS with Linux compatible software might just do the
trick!

#11: Matthias Nagorni (mnagorni) (2009-08-24 12:36:25)
It really depends on the user scenario: For a Thin Client type of
installation you would probably want to hide this level of system
detail, however for notebook usage it appears to be very useful.
Therefore "Important" but should be configurable.

#13: Klaas Freitag (kfreitag) (2009-08-25 11:58:09)
Sorry, we're not working for SLE SPs.

#16: Robert Davies (robopensuse) (2009-11-30 17:35:07)
Could something using wake ups & idle time reporting do most of the
job, and be more generally useful like powertop?  Then actually this is
interesting on some mains systems to, things like virtualised servers,
or with high machine density in data-centre.  Also perhaps on desktop
where poor applications cause noise from cooling fans.