[New: openFATE 309159] Reorganize/Add functionality to the Gnome main menu.
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 05:13:28 +0100 (CET)
Feature added by: Mariusz Bielski (marbpl)

Feature #309159, revision 1
Title: Reorganize/Add functionality to the Gnome main menu.

Requester: Neutral

Requested by: Mariusz Bielski (marbpl)

Nowadays if we want to launch application that is not in favourite (or recent)
group, we have to do 3 steps: open menu, click More applications, and launch it
there or search for it with search field - which is not the best example of
usability.

People are often changing Slab, to traditional menu, and/or to Gnome Do.

How about making it like in KDE4 menu, where search field has different
functionalities depending on tab on which we are currently.

So, if we are in Applications tab, search engine searches for apps. Results are
displayed in real time, in the menu itself. Of course it works as incremental
search.

apps.</a>

In Documents tab we are searching for files:

files.</a>

And in Places tab we are searching for places:

places.</a>

There is a problem with this idea, because menu isn't designed to display huge
amount of entries. Searching for a "a" string, can result with big number. So
maybe in this situation scrollbar <a
href="http://kimag.es/share/26285986.png";>(r.1)</a>should be implemented, or
only first few entries should be displayed in the menu, and rest will be
available through "More Applications..." button <a
href="http://kimag.es/share/36102822.png";>(r.2)</a>. In this case, search
string should be automatically copied into Application Browser search field.

List Navigation