[New: openFATE 309152] turn on extra diagnostics
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 01:23:38 +0100 (CET)
Feature added by: Bruce Korb (bkorb)

Feature #309152, revision 1
Title: turn on extra diagnostics

Requested by: Bruce Korb (bkorb)

A suggestion for enabling extra diagnostics on a subsystem-by-subsystem basis:

CF:

http://forums.opensuse.org/install-boot-login/434693-switched-off-sound-video.html#post2133019

For each subsystem, have some well-named "I need diagnostics for this" thing
available under the yast administrator stuff. That would turn on diagnostics
for the subsystem. Then, I could turn it on for X and get something a bit
better than the .xsession-errors (which showed nothing obvious for this
problem) and for sound (aka "alsa" for those in the know). So, for now, if I
have anything useful, I do not know what or where. Sorry.

Thank you!

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: Rationale: Right now, I know that my secondary monitor
occasionally displays garbage in the boot up and splash screens. Also, it
sometimes comes up without a signal, so I only get half my desk top. Why? I
cannot tell. There is insufficient information in my .xsession-errors to tell
me anything. I do know that restarting KDE is insufficient to clear the
problem. Not even "init 6" is sufficient. I must do a full shut down/halt and
then a reboot. Sometimes, several times. I'd like to be able to go into yast
and get to the video stuff and set a mode that says, "record all the diagnostic
info you can think of" and when it happens again, I've got the smoking gun
along with the smoke.

List Navigation