[openFATE 306646] Add option in yast to disable tcp window scaling
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 15:35:26 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Christoph Thiel (cthiel1)
Feature #306646, revision 14
Title: Add option in yast to disable tcp window scaling

openSUSE-11.2: Rejected by Michael Löffler (michl19)
reject date: 2009-08-11 15:02:45
reject reason: too late for 11.2, moved to 11.3

openSUSE-11.3: Evaluation
+ Projectmanager: Important

Requested by: Jose Ricardo De Leon Solis (derhundchen)

I live in Guatemala and like most people in countries like mine I don't
have a broadband connection, so everytime I install openSUSE I see
myself opening a terminal to disable tcp window scaling  and opening
kate with root permisions to edit /etc/sysctl.conf to make the change
permanent. Though is not complicated to do, it has become an expensive
operation to perform. So it would be nice for me and for those of us
who need to disable this feature to have an option to disable it in
yast. It would be nice to see it in the same tab in which one can
disable ipv6.

#1: Jan Engelhardt (jengelh) (2009-07-04 18:05:30)
So what does the deactivation of TCP Window Scaling have to do with
wireless?

#2: Jose Ricardo De Leon Solis (derhundchen) (2009-07-07 05:25:23)
(reply to #1)
It enables some of us to browse the internet. Take a look
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=es&client=opera&rls=es-LA&hs=y5L&ei=K7xSSqeVOMK0tgeKxZGqCA&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=tcp_window_scaling&spell=1)

#3: Jan Engelhardt (jengelh) (2009-07-07 18:50:53) (reply to #2)
Broken TCP endpoints are nothing that's caused solely by wireless. It
affects all types of transport.
FWIW, the option should not be next to ipv6, but it should be in the
sysctl editor (whatever yast module that edits /etc/sysconfig/sysctl)

#4: Jose Ricardo De Leon Solis (derhundchen) (2009-07-10 05:33:56)
(reply to #3)
I don't really care about where it should be. I wouldn't mind to see
this feature in another module as long as there's a simple and easy way
to do it and having this option in yast makes a lot of sense to me.

#5: Michael Löffler (michl19) (2009-08-11 15:06:21) (reply to #3)
If that eases the download for people in areas with bandwith issues we
should make it easy to change in YaST.

#6: Robert Davies (robopensuse) (2009-11-30 22:50:29)
Looking at some tech discussion of this issue from couple years back :
http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2007/01/msg00654.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2007/01/msg00661.html
It seems something that YaST Installer could try automatically, when it
has a net connection, but downloaders are failing to complete. It's not
simply "scaling" good/bad, but something possibly improved by option
values.
Putting this in the UI as an option, will lead to complaints about
confusing and quirky-ness, and attempting to fallback automagically to
better network parameters, is likely easier to program, and YaST could
simply report the attempt succeeded or failed; and something like
refreshing the repo's could set the option post-installation. That's
much better and more informative than posing a boggling option which
99.9% of end users will never need, or will think they need when they
in fact don't.