[openFATE 306968] rewrite yast in C#
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 10:53:48 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Andreas Jaeger (a_jaeger)
Feature #306968, revision 12
Title: rewrite yast in C#

- openSUSE-11.3: Unconfirmed
+ openSUSE-11.3: Rejected by (a_jaeger)
+ reject date: 2010-03-02 10:53:40
+ reject reason: Part of this is ongoing - and a complete rewrite is not
+ feasible at the moment.

Requested by: Sharque uddin Ahmed Farooqui (safknw)

Yast is the best control panel for any distro. It has become quite big
and it has alot of modules and many more to come Since yast is written
in its own language (
http://en.opensuse.org/YaST/Research/Make_YaST_Independent_of_YCP )  which
quite few people know, so it is difficult others to get involved.
I think we should start thinking about rewriting yast in a popular and
advanced () language like C++, python or C#.... It will make
development of yast faster and people find it easy to write modules
according their own requirements. My suggestion is to write it in C#.
-
Writing it in such an advance can make app arch much simpler and also
make it easy to maintain. My target release is 12.0, since it is not in
option so I'm selecting 11.3 .
-
My idea is to write back-end library in C# and gui in both GTk and
QT/Kde for gnome and KDE users respectively. We can have binding for
other languages (like python and ruby) as well.
-
Sharique
-
-

#1: Armindo Díaz Argaña (armindiaz) (2009-07-28 19:55:14)
Totally disagree!
The last language we should pursue is Mono / .NET  QT consider first,
then other languages, but nothing that has to  do with Mono

#2: Sharque uddin Ahmed Farooqui (safknw) (2009-07-29 15:41:25) (reply
to #1)
Can you explain disagreement? C# is ECMA standard, so it should not be
a problem.
Qt is Gui toolkit not a language.

#3: Armindo Díaz Argaña (armindiaz) (2009-07-29 16:59:49) (reply to
#2)
Fedora, Debian and other Distributions limited as possible to use Mono ...
openSUSE is a mistake to spend time in YaST rewrite in C # language to
include a potential problem with patents.  It is well that QT is not a
language itself but it is understood the message.
A few wise words.

#4: Sharque uddin Ahmed Farooqui (safknw) (2009-08-08 16:36:28) (reply
to #3)
I don't think that MS is going to sue. There are many open source
projects which have  potential problems with patents, like mplayer,
xine, ffmpeg, wine (special note), etc.... These projects never sued
and I don't think that they are going to be sued. These projects are
some or other way very useful for them.

#5: ben m (grumml) (2009-11-17 21:55:51)
Besides the C# discussion; I am also not a fan of MS stuff, any other
advanced language sounds reasonable for me, there were no arguments
against this proposal so far.

#6: Markus K (kamikazow) (2009-11-21 14:41:35)
At least under KDE, Mono is not even installed by default, thus not
using up any space on the KDE live CD. Live CD space is precious and
should be used for unnecessary virtual machines like Mono or Java.

#7: Robert Davies (robopensuse) (2009-12-01 00:00:18)
This is against part of the UNIX philosophy, creating a small special
purpose tool language is often the neatest way to implement something.
In another language it's likely ycp-ism's would be replaced by a YaST
implementation library, which require just as much effort, but also
require knowledge of the general purpose language increasing, not
decreasing the pain^Wthreshold of contributions.
If ycp is really an awful impediment, then perhaps a review of the
language design to the current problem space, would be more appropriate
than picking some currently cool language and doing a translation.
C# - not in default install, immature implementation not popular with
Linux developers
Python - seems to be in transition Python3, much more popular with
Linux'ers
C++ - this is going to be easier than ycp script?
Looking at .ycp files, it looks like a fairly readable script; YaST2 is
in good shape at the moment, from user point of view a rewrite in
another language will just introduce bugs.

#8: Matthew Ayres (solar_granulation) (2010-02-17 00:20:13)
It's isn't broken, so let's not fix it.

+ #9: Andreas Jaeger (a_jaeger) (2010-03-02 10:52:53)
+ YaST is already changing - into WebYaST and C++ libraries. If you like
+ to help here, talk to the yast developers on the yast-devel opensuse
+ mailing list.