[openFATE 307725] Virtual Machine with the latest (and maybe latest stable) openSUSE release
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 09:00:11 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Pavol Rusnak (prusnak)
Feature #307725, revision 15
Title: Virtual Machine with the latest (and maybe latest stable)
openSUSE release

Requested by: Pavol Rusnak (prusnak)

Jaromir Cervenka started a little project where everyone can try the
latest openSUSE release (at this moment openSUSE 11.3 Milestone 2) via
VNC or SSH.
See http://www.cervajz.com/page/openSUSE-verejne.html (in Czech, but "
vncviewer leon.i-tux.cz:5901 " and " ssh virtual@xxxxxxxxxxxxx -p2222 "
should be understandable for everyone :-))
It would be nice if Novell started to provide something similar,
because it received a huge positive feedback in Czech and Slovak Linux
Community.

#1: Rastislav Krupansky (ra100) (2009-09-10 22:16:55)
I think it´s very good idea and this could be one of ways how people
could be familiar with openSUSE.

#2: Jan Šembera (jsembera) (2009-09-11 01:11:28)
I gave this a bit of thought when I helped set this thing up. What I
especially like about the idea that it can really show all of Linux
community what we have created together, and this is especially true
for users that are currently using another distributions - they don't
have to worry about installation issues, disk repartitioning, virtual
machine setup, spending a lot of time just to be able to try new
release... they simply connect to the machine and voila, they have
fully working openSUSE at their disposal.
Of course, the problem of concurrent access has to be addressed in
order to implement this perfectly, but even with single instance with
reloading from snapshot after defined period of time would be
sufficient demo.
But then... how about Studio? I didn't study it in detail, but maybe it
can be modified to simply instantiate pre-made openSUSE image for the
particular user and then just run this image within web player, which I
think we already have. For usability reasons, this would have to be
made simple and quick (eg. avoid forcing curious users to do too many
steps to instantiate the image, or their curiosity will vanish
quickly). Maybe even avoid login, then select distribution/version,
click go... and go. And after some time, clean up orphaned images. Note
that this isn't the content of the request itself, but just my $0.02 on
how to implement :-). Think openSUSE Studio :-).

#3: Ruurd Pels (rfpels) (2010-02-25 13:45:59)
Yes Studio is a way to do that however the amount of effort needed to
get that running and and and is considerably higher than being able to
just open vnc and entering an URL. Very low threshold to just go and
try something out and look around. I think this idea is a welcome
addition to marketing Linux in general and OpenSUSE in particular.
And while we're at it, maybe the login screen should be adorned with a
clear possibility to use the three most popular desktop environments:
KDE, KDE and KDE... JOKE!!! KDE, Gnome and LXDE of cource :-)

#4: Pavol Rusnak (prusnak) (2010-02-25 14:18:06) (reply to #3)
I already talked with Studio guys and they are already planning
something similar. Stay tuned!

+ #5: Pavol Rusnak (prusnak) (2010-03-01 09:00:04)
+ Jaromir's effort is now available from http://virtual.i-tux.cz/