[openFATE 308520] Change bootloader to lilo - it just works.
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 16:49:25 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Jeff Mahoney (jeff_mahoney)
Feature #308520, revision 2
Title: Change bootloader to lilo - it just works.

Requested by: Per Jessen (pjessen)

In light of recent discussion wrt bootloader, in particular GRUB and
GRUB2, I would like to suggest an alternative: that we revert to lilo
as the default and supported boot-loader.
As at least two people have said, lilo just works. It is a tried and
tested, file-system independent and mature boot-loader. Lilo is boring
- just what we need for a stable distribution.
Let me take care of the counter-arguments right away:
* lilo doesn't support reiserfs' tail option. (requires that the /boot
file-system is mounted with –notail).
Not really much of a drawback, IMHO. Reiserfs has been slowly losing
popularity, and with this tail option being a reiserfs-only feature,
this is a corner case barely worth considering.
* lilo is poor wrt recovery and diagnostics.
Granted, it probably is. For a system to be played and experimented
with, lilo might not be optimal. For a stable production system,
whether a server, an office desktop or a home system, lilo does a very
good job.

+ #1: Jeff Mahoney (jeff_mahoney) (2009-12-11 16:48:28)
+ reiserfs is losing popularity, but we expect btrfs to gain popularlity.
+ It has a similar design compared to reiserfs and supports tail packing.
+
+ Additionally, with online defragmentation supported added to both ext4
+ and btrfs, the static maps that lilo manages will become invalid at
+ random times. Having a defrag tool update the boot loader is just
+ stupid.

List Navigation