[New: openFATE 308520] Change bootloader to lilo - it just works.
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 14:43:15 +0100 (CET)
Feature added by: Per Jessen (pjessen)

Feature #308520, revision 1
Title: Change bootloader to lilo - it just works.

Requested by: Per Jessen (pjessen)

In light of recent discussion wrt bootloader, in particular GRUB and GRUB2, I
would like to suggest an alternative: that we revert to lilo as the default and
supported boot-loader.

As at least two people have said, lilo just works. It is a tried and tested,
file-system independent and mature boot-loader. Lilo is boring - just what we
need for a stable distribution.

Let me take care of the counter-arguments right away:

* lilo doesn't support reiserfs' tail option. (requires that the /boot
file-system is mounted with –notail).

Not really much of a drawback, IMHO. Reiserfs has been slowly losing
popularity, and with this tail option being a reiserfs-only feature, this is a
corner case barely worth considering.

* lilo is poor wrt recovery and diagnostics.

Granted, it probably is. For a system to be played and experimented with, lilo
might not be optimal. For a stable production system, whether a server, an
office desktop or a home system, lilo does a very good job.

List Navigation