[openFATE 306635] Gnome main menu should have openSUSE logo, not generic computer
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 12:03:31 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: belal mandurah (belal_mandurah)
Feature #306635, revision 20
Title: Gnome main menu should have openSUSE logo, not generic computer

openSUSE-11.2: Rejected by Vincent Untz (vuntz)
reject reason: It's a question of "branding vs usability". The computer
icon tells people that they can do something with the computer by
clicking there. The openSUSE logo wouldn't help the user in any way.
Priority
Requester: Neutral
Projectmanager: Desirable

openSUSE-11.3: Rejected by Vincent Untz (vuntz)
reject reason: It's a question of "branding vs usability". The computer
icon tells people that they can do something with the computer by
clicking there. The openSUSE logo wouldn't help the user in any way.
Priority
Requester: Neutral

Requested by: Drew Kwashnak (dragonbite)

The Gnome version of openSUSE should have the openSUSE logo either
squared (like the head used in KDE) or a horizontile button instead of
the generic computer icon.
As unimportant as it seems, that is a marketing aspect that should not
be overlooked.

#1: Stephan Kulow (coolo) (2009-07-29 10:51:00)
in absense of a fate markup for it, I would say we go into
implementation as long as there is no problem with it - I _guess_ this
is a clear community task but I don't know of any possible volunteer.
If none is to be found, we have to reject it later in the process.

#7: Darren LaChausse (dlachausse) (2009-11-28 22:05:49) (reply to #1)
I wrote a script, per this forum post
http://forums.opensuse.org/applications/424479-how-change-slab-icon.html#post2078096

(http://forums.opensuse.org/applications/424479-how-change-slab-icon.html#post2078096)
that edits the slab menu's glade file to use the "gdm-suse" icon
instead.  Do you need this in a patch form to make it a contribution or
will this script I worte suffice?  Please let me know, because I think
nearly all of the openSUSE Gnome users are in favor of this small, but
nice change.

#2: M. S. (funkym) (2009-08-25 10:49:49)
I checked the code and a simple change is actually trivial. The .glade
file contains the button used on the panel with hardcoded icon name
"gnome-fs-client". The icons for different orientations must get a name
so their widgets can be retrieved using glade within
create_panel_button(), and the icon name read from gconf could be
assigned. This would allow to basically assign any icon using gconf to
the menu button. It would not be bad if openSUSE had their brand icons
in the standard icon sizes available in the distro. So if apps need to
use the logo, they can request icon name "suse" to get the green
circled logo which currently appears for "gdm-suse".
Example before/after:
http://media.sukimashita.com/temp/gmm-suse-button.gif

#3: Kirk Sanders (mithedhel) (2009-10-21 22:21:33)
I would like to voice my support for adding the Suse icon and reject
the reason for the rejection. The fact that the button is labled
"Computer" tells the user it would do something, the icon itself is
trivial.  I don't feel usability will be affected at all but branding
is certainly important for mindshare.

#4: Kirk Sanders (mithedhel) (2009-10-21 22:45:42)
I would just like to add that the Suse icon seems to work okay for the
KDE button without affecting "Usability" as portrayed here:
http://en.opensuse.org/Image:OS11.2M4-yast2-control-center-qt.png

#5: La Wezen (wezen) (2009-11-17 01:36:44)
gnome-fs-client icon so ugly. it makes sence to change it with logo!

#6: belal mandurah (belal_mandurah) (2009-11-17 11:58:22)
In the GNOME version of openSUSE The menu bar and the traditional menu
bar icons have been changed to the brand logo without affecing
"usibility", why not changing the slab menu icon? KDE was changed also
to brand Icon. Not to mention other OSs have thier brand Icons as well.
I would prefer to see the brand icon insted of seeing an ugly computer
icon. I hope we will see it in 11.3.

#8: Vincent Untz (vuntz) (2009-11-28 22:58:17) (reply to #6)
The traditional menu bar has never used a computer icon, but always a
brand icon (even upstream). The computer icon in the main menu was a
design decision. If you think it's ugly, then it's a theme issue,
really.

#9: Darren LaChausse (dlachausse) (2009-11-29 16:20:10) (reply to #8)
Even being provided an easy GUI to change it would be nice.  As it
sits, one has to edit the slab's .glade file by hand to make this
change.  Would the maintainers be willing to accept a patch that
provides a preferences dialog for the slab making this change easier?

#10: Vincent Untz (vuntz) (2009-11-29 16:34:28) (reply to #9)
I'm not a maintainer, but here's my opinion: a gconf key might be
acceptable to maintainers, but I doubt a pref dialog would be.

#11: Darren LaChausse (dlachausse) (2009-11-29 17:04:46) (reply to
#10)
Fair enough, is there any way I can get ahold of one of the maintainers, to
work with them on this?  I don't mind working on the code for this, but
if it won't get included in 11.3 or 11.3++, then what's the point?

#12: Vincent Untz (vuntz) (2009-11-29 18:36:54) (reply to #11)
I suggest mailing them (see MAINTAINERS file).

#13: Darren LaChausse (dlachausse) (2009-11-29 19:37:55) (reply to
#12)
I will contact them via email then.  I just assumed that you might know
some of the maintainers since you rejected this feature for 11.3
already.  This is not a technically difficult issue, but it would
improve the aesthetics of the openSUSE Gnome desktop a lot, especially
in light of all the politics surrounding the KDE default issue.
Plus, literally EVERY OTHER system menu in openSUSE uses a lizard icon,
including the two other gnome menus, the XFCE menu, and of course the
KDE menu, and yet nobody complains about usability in those cases.

+ #14: belal mandurah (belal_mandurah) (2009-12-09 12:02:27) (reply to
+ #8)
+ The traditiona menu bar icon was the two blue foot steps (or what eveer it
+ was called) It was not the lizard logo. It has been changed to the
+ lizard logo in this final relese. Rejecting it as a "Usibility" isse is
+ really not  a strong logical arrgument.