[openFATE 308357] Replacement for Sax2 in 11.3
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 08:15:55 +0000 (GMT)
Feature changed by: Shekhar Neupane (wildnux)
Feature #308357, revision 5
Title: Replacement for Sax2 in 11.3

Requested by: Tara Ikeda (taraikeda)

We need a replacement for sax2 in 11.3, as a safety measure for when
auto configuration fails to detect certain monitors/keyboards/mice.
Relying on the Desktop Environment for this is not the best idea, as
some DE's or window managers dont provide config tools for what you
might need to work.
So I propose instead of relying on xrandr, Hal, devicekit or whatever
there should be a GUI to configure graphics cards, mice, and keyboards
without depending on the DE or a WM to provide a tool for the end user.
I mention this as I have had KDE 4 fail to detect my resolutions and
sometimes keyboard, luckily SAX2 is there to aid me but if its going
the way of the dodo then I propose a relacement tool so that the end
user wont have to make a xorg.conf and spend some time setting it up.
It takes skill to make edits to a xorg.conf file and one can easily
mess it up
So having a helpful GUI tool is needed sometimes.

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: Because of new users mainly, because we dont want them to
install openSUSE and have it fail to detect their proper monitor
resolution and default to a much smaller one. The goal here is ease of
use, but also to have a a safety net just in case. With openSUSE being
more geared toward KDE a tool like Sax2 becomes even more needed.
KDE4's monitor detection tool sucks, its always given me headaches in
Ubuntu, in Mandriva, in many other KDE4 distros. It has no feature to
remember monitor settings, nor does it do a good job with enabling my
resolution. But i am not doing this just for me, many others have
issues with KDE4's monitor tool

#1: Bernhard Wiedemann (bmwiedemann) (2009-12-03 17:23:48)
maybe XFdrake or drakx11 from mandrake would be an alternative.
Also a big reason for keeping SaX2 or a similar tool is that by default
no xorg.conf is generated, so that it is even harder to generate a
working one from scratch.

#2: Jan Engelhardt (jengelh) (2009-12-05 13:41:04)
I doubt anything will be done - if tools like sax2 go, there is hardly
any room for another ('cause otherwise one could have kept sax2). You
can still download sax2 from its project page.

+ #3: Shekhar Neupane (wildnux) (2009-12-09 09:15:42)
+ users like me will be very happy if we don't have to search tools to
+ configure our keyboard, mouse or monitors. I am using dell inspiron
+ e1705 and wanted to configure my synaptics touchpad through kde4, but
+ it messed it up more. so i had to revert back to the default. I would
+ love to have sax or any tool do that in OS level rather than WM level.