[New: openFATE 308475] Rework applications menu structure to avoid patching upstream desktop files
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 01:19:52 +0000 (GMT)
Feature added by: Vincent Untz (vuntz)

Feature #308475, revision 1
Title: Rework applications menu structure to avoid patching upstream desktop
files

Requested by: Vincent Untz (vuntz)

Right now, we have an applications menu structure that is specific to openSUSE.
This has two direct results:

* because of some checks in brp-check, we have to make sure we use the
categories specified in
http://en.opensuse.org/SUSE_Package_Conventions/Desktop_Menu, and used them in
the way that is descrived there. This is not good because this means we're
doing it in a different way from what the xdg menu specification recommends
(we're requiring stuff that is not required there).
* we have to change the categories in many .desktop files, which results either
in patches or usage of %suse_update_desktop_file which then goes unnoticed with
time (which can be an issue when upstream adds/removes categories from the
upstream .desktop file). And often we just use some random categories to make
the above check happy, while this doesn't match the reality of the application.

This will require some discussion between the GNOME and KDE packagers -- as far
as I can tell, the KDE packagers seem happy this way, but the GNOME packagers
dislike what's going on.

It might be hard to agree on a different way to handle the menu structure, but
it's relatively common sense that at least all our .desktop file changes should
be right, and should be sent upstream.

List Navigation