[openFATE 308459] Include Sage open-source mathematics software
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 17:38:50 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Todd R (TheBlackCat)
Feature #308459, revision 2
Title: Include Sage open-source mathematics software

Package Wishlist: Unconfirmed

Requested by: Todd R (theblackcat)

Sage is a python-based GPL advanced mathematics software similar to the
closed-source mathematica and the open-source maxima.  It seems pretty
powerful, supporting many advanced mathematics operations, plotting,
and other higher-level mathematics tasks.  It provides a nice web
interface.  Further, the new Cantor advanced mathematics software that
will be included with KDE 4.4 can act as a front-end for sage (as well
as maxima and R for now).  However, there is no Sage package for
openSUSE.
Considering an official KDE program now uses it I think it is a good
- idea to provide a package. Since Cantor is now in the main KDE
- education software group I think Sage should probably be in the main
- release for openSUSE 11.3.  In the meantime there should probably be a
- package in KDE4 Unstable now and one in KDE 4 factory when it switches
- to KDE 4.4 beta 1, and probably another in the science and/or education
- buildservice repository.
+ idea to provide a package.  Further, it is useful, powerful, open-
+ source tool for people in science, mathematics, and engineering, with a
+ rather nicer interface than wxmaxima (which is available).  Since
+ Cantor is now in the main KDE education software group I think Sage
+ should probably be in the main release for openSUSE 11.3.  In the
+ meantime there should probably be a package in KDE4 Unstable now and
+ one in KDE 4 Factory when it switches to KDE 4.4 beta 1, and probably
+ another in the science and/or education buildservice repository since
+ it can be used in any web browser independently of KDE.

List Navigation