[openFATE 306404] Provide access to manuals
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 16:27:50 +0000 (GMT)
Feature changed by: Juergen Weigert (jnweiger)
Feature #306404, revision 18
Title: Provide access to manuals

openSUSE-11.2: Evaluation

openSUSE-11.3: Evaluation

Requested by: Frank Sundermeyer (fsundermeyer)

In openSUSE 11.1 it is almost impossible for a regular user to access
the official manuals.
By default, only the complete set of HTML manuals is installed, while
the PDFs are not installed by default. There is no way of easily
locating the packages containing them unless you know the package
names. In order to improve this
* the term "manual" has to appear in the package name or at least in
the summary of the package
* a Pattern "Manuals" is needed
Theoretically the HTML manuals should be accessible via the KDE or
GNOME help center. In the past the help centers have made lots of
trouble when integrating the manuals, so they almost always were either
not available in KDE or GNOME. Since the release of KDE4, for example,
they can no longer be integrated into the KDE help center. Apart from
that, the help center has certain disadvantages:
* no proper search within the manuals
* too many clicks are needed to access a manual
* not printable
* users of other GUIs have no easy access to the manuals (via the
filesystem only)
Therefore the PDFs have to be installed by default, too. Additionally
an entry "Manuals" with links to the PDFs has to be added to the main
menus of the GUIs (KDE, GNOME, XFCE,...).

Documentation Impact:
Evaluate if RPMs can postinstall the unpacked PDFs from the install-
Media

#1: Michael Löffler (michl19) (2009-06-05 16:15:21)
Having the manuals accessible in the Help Center is sufficient, adding
pdfs imo just nice to have.

#2: Frank Sundermeyer (fsundermeyer) (2009-12-01 16:39:11) (reply to
#1)
As I pointed out in the initial description: Since the release of KDE4 the
manuals are no longer available from the KDE help center.

+ #3: Juergen Weigert (jnweiger) (2009-12-01 17:26:58)
+ This request comes from doc-team and doc-team will implement it. The
+ request is only here to synchronize efforts.
+ I see the following defects: - we obsolete old docu packages with
+ opensuse-manuals_en, but do not require the set of new packages. So
+ nothing is currently installed. - user has to guess package names and
+ activly hunt for the packages. do we have a reason for not installing
+ docs? Disc space should not be a limitation. - installation manual
+ should also be unpacked in the root directory of the install medium.
+ RPM package for the installed system also has a copy of this. Look into
+ a more clever RPM package. - create appropriate mene entries. (desktop
+ files?) - place a doc-icon on the plasma desktop (decide if we have PDF
+ or HTML there?) - integrate searchable docs in the startup menue search
+ engine.
+ I see no reasons for not doing any of the above. PM, please advise.