[openFATE 305848] Offer 1 Sole Default Facility to Process System Email
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 22:38:38 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Scott Couston (zczc2311)
Feature #305848, revision 3
Title: Offer 1 Sole Default Facility to Process System Email

Requested by: Scott Couston (zczc2311)

Currently during installation we offer a user the ability to receive
system email. What we don't show everyone that we need to configure an
email Client to draining /var/mail/xxxxxx Consider that we have 10 PC
on a LAN or a remote user providing system support. We really have no
facility to process default system mail. I propose that we add a new
network Service to YaST to define an 1. SMTP Server/IP 2. A Valid From
Address 3. A Valid To Address 4. Optional password verification to SMTP
Server 5. TLS/SSL Transfer via POP3 By configuring a default mail
client system wide a sole user address within another part of the LAN
will get all the system mail AND/OR a remote Administrator who job is
to view system mail warnings etc. Yes I know we could use IMAP, but why
not keep it very simple and use an SMTP Server we all know how to use
and we all know how to set-up an email client wherever it may be. This
would provide system wide continuity for all system mail and we can
start offering more that the current security/Apparmour items into the
future. I understand that adding anything to YaST is pushing it - But I
think this really is a quick, easy and user friendly way of
accomplishing the above. Once Established we can omit the option for a
user to receive system mail OR if so selected fill in the initial info
into the YaST Module above whilst drawing the attention to the user to
complete YaST System Mail after installation. Your Thoughts?

+ #1: Scott Couston (zczc2311) (2009-02-23 22:38:10)
+ Sincere Apologies we off course have MTA in YATS2 - Closing FATE Issue

List Navigation