[openFATE 305493] Look at plymouth for splash during boot
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 03:11:01 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Eric Springer (Erikina)
Feature #305493, revision 20
Title: Look at plymouth for splash during boot

openSUSE-11.2: New

Requested by: Vincent Untz (vuntz)

I wanted to open a fate feature about this when I first heard of
plymouth, but reading
http://fedoramagazine.wordpress.com/2008/10/21/interview-fedora-10s-better-startup/
really makes me think we should go this way.
Ray's comment starting with "Every flicker and mode change in the boot
process takes away from the whole experience." is especially
interesting.
Is it okay to track the "don't show grub by default" here?

#1: Rajko Matovic (rajko_m) (2008-11-30 00:32:58)
Cool idea.

#2: Kevin Dupuy (kdupuy9) (2009-01-17 21:42:12)
I like this idea. Flickers, dropping to text, etc. makes any OS look
unprofessional.

#3: Armin Moradi (amoradi) (2009-01-19 19:49:55)
Agreed, those flickers are very unprofessional and annoying.

#4: Stijn Van Nieuwenhuyse (svnieuw) (2009-01-20 15:22:17)
With plymouth it would also be possible tot deliver a nice bootsplash
for far more setups than now are available. For example, my laptop does
not have an appropriate 16-bit widescreen framebuffer mode. Currently
the options are to have a stretched splash or have the framebuffer set
to the native (non 16-bit) resolution with bootsplash disabled. With
Fedora 10's plymouth I am able to get a good looking startup.

#5: Dean Hilkewich (deanjo13) (2009-02-18 04:54:31)
Please lets not have another "green" technology put into the distro
until it is completely ready. Usability has to become a priority before
"bells and whistles" at the cost of basic functionality. The last few
releases we have been pushing unready projects into the distro while
they are unstable and immature ie: PulseAudio, KDE 4.0, Beagle, etc and
it always turns around to bite openSUSE in the rear end.

+ #6: Eric Springer (erikina) (2009-02-22 03:10:46) (reply to #5)
+ Absolutely. However, my experience of plymouth has been all positive
+ (unlike all those technologies you have listed). My understanding is
+ that plymouth degrades gracefully on all hardware that doesn't support
+ it, leaving it no worse off. So if this is the case, and we're sure
+ that it's not going to cause problems -- I'd really like to see it in
+ openSUSE.<br /><br /> But yeah, stability/usability before shininess.