[openFATE 305876] Packages usage statistics
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 11:48:59 +0100 (CET)
Feature added by: Michal Vyskocil (mvyskocil)

Feature #305876, revision 1, last change by
Title: Packages usage statistics

Requested by: Michal Vyskocil (mvyskocil)

Moved from Brainstorming_Prague
(http://en.opensuse.org/BrainStorming_Prague#We_don.27t_know_which_packages_users_really_use.2Fhave_installed)
Problem: We don't know which packages users really use/have installed We
cannot focus our interest on really important packages for our end-users,
because we don't know which are important. Those popularity statistics could
help us in many ways - for example bug priority of popular package should be
higher, or we can decide move the package from/to Factory, ... Debian has a
http://popcon.debian.org/ and popularity-contest package, so we should reuse an
existing code. The pupularity-contest executable is a simple Perl script, which
should be ported to rpm (replacing of dpkg calls by rpm alternative should be
enough). Those package usage statistics could be integrated into Software
Portal and to YaST comparing relative results for individual packages between
openSUSE and Debian can give us a valuable information about the community
structure (how many users use development tools etc.)

List Navigation