[openFATE 305842] Provide RPM Update Server to Update All openSUSE/SLED Workstations
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 05:43:36 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Scott Couston (zczc2311)
Feature #305842, revision 4
Title: Provide RPM Update Server to Update All openSUSE/SLED
Workstations

openSUSE-11.2: New

Requested by: Scott Couston (zczc2311)

*Please be Patient - This is my First FATE request* Definitions in
this Submission Workstation == Any openSUSE/SLED installation that
functions without direct server support Installation Server == Any
designated PC that holds a repository for the complete RPM's contained
at time of software Release. Update Server == Any designated PC that
holds a repository(s) that contain online update RPM's The 'Server'
would be accessible by normal NFS... et al Services currently
available. Current Situation The Installation of a PC with
openSUSE/SLED requires a huge number of Online Updates a situation that
may never change whilst development continues. The Installation of
openSUSE has the ability to perform many NFS Installations at one time
whilst being able to create 1 repository server for the entire
Installation RPM's for future addition of features and groups not
included in the base installation. Feature Request Along the same
notion of an NFS Installation I propose that we an Installation Server
or Other to be an Update Server which downloads ALL RPM updates as they
become available. Each Workstation then selects Online Updates from the
Update Server per chosen update check cycle period. In this way each
workstation needs only to connect with the Update Server rather than
each workstation downloading its required updates. This has the
potential to cut update traffic by the number of workstations installed
on a LAN and this weighed against the traffic of downloading ALL
updates and the traffic on ALL Online update Server Repositories and
Mirrors external to the LAN. The concept is notedly simple however this
has a huge technical repercussion and link to FATE #120340. This
concept is open for addition to FATE #120340 or it can stand alone at
the discretion of Novell.DE Whilst this concept is created by the
author the technical impact/problems will require much input from
Novell.De and Suse.DE and the author.

#1: Scott Couston (zczc2311) (2009-02-10 02:37:07)
I wish the carriage returns CR held from initial text - Can be have a
CR Button - Please edit initial description if required.
Can we also have a preview before commit comments/initial entry

+ #2: Scott Couston (zczc2311) (2009-02-18 05:43:26)
+ I had envisaged that we could add another option to the Miscellaneous
+ Section of Yast. We already have a wizard to create and install server
+ so we can use much of the same code to create an Online Patch Update
+ Server. Naming convention should apply to reflect Version and
+ Architecture. Priority must also be provided and a 'wake PC' option of
+ PC is not turned on. The very tricky bit to to set up a cron job to
+ gather ALL Updates for the user indicated version and architecture. On
+ the client side I would suggest we add another check box to Software
+ Repositories to turn on and off and take regard for priority and create
+ an NFS Client if and then browse for the update Servers name. In the
+ absence of a matching RPM Package Tittle for the NFS Server the
+ operation fails in verification. We can use the same online update
+ software except it points to a local Server via NFS transfer. We would
+ also need a refresh option to refresh our client NFS exported and
+ mounted directories as it is possible for the Update Server to be down
+ at the time threshold for client check for updates as NO NFS drives
+ would be available.
+ We need to do a bit of work in Online Update Check configuration that
+ is currently in Yast - Again we need a 'wake PC' if the time set needs
+ to turn on a PC that is not online via APCI

List Navigation
This Thread