[openFATE 305641] Bring Puppet to fully supportable status
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 15:45:27 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Pavol Rusnak (prusnak)
Feature #305641, revision 11
Title: Bring Puppet to fully supportable status

openSUSE-11.2: Evaluation
Projectmanager: Mandatory

Requested by: Federico Lucifredi (flucifredi)

Dedicate a developer for the duration of the 11.2 cycle to shaking out
Puppet on openSUSE, contribute patches upstream correcting integration
with our base system, and analyzing what future integration areas
(particularly with YaST, but not limited) appear promising.
The objective is to walk through the Puppet documentation
(http://reductivelabs.com/trac/puppet/wiki/DocumentationStart), Turnbull's
book (ISBN 159059978), and test out that things work as they should,
patching and sending upstream when they do not. Finally, contribute a
small "Puppet on SUSE" document to the community detailing any platform-
specific factors (you will see there are a number for other distors
already).
Additional notes: The plan is to _INSTALL_ the Puppet infrastructure
by default. No default-running is planned - I thought it was important
to clarify this. Addtionally, Facter needs to be packaged and
supportable alongside Puppet. Cft should be packaged, but not default
installed, and not the target of this focused infrastructure work in
this cycle (i.e. Best effort).

Relations:
- Feature for 11 GA tech Preview (feature/id: 303687)

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: The ultimate intent is to integrate a policy management
framework into the platform and have it available as default
infrastructure. This has a number of consequencies: for one, the
ability of third parties, both internal and external, to leverage the
policy language for platform management. Secondly, I want to support
the Puppet objective of being a pervasive policy language for *NIX,
which may or may not be achievable. This combines with the set of
enabling management technologies we want to have on the platform as
blocks to build on: integrated libraries (libzypp, libstorage, ..),
management instrumentation (SFCB, management profiles exposing the
libraries wherever possible), Stateless YaST interface (to enable
access to configuration facilities), and support instrumentation (the
Novell Support Link, formerly known as Aurora and Onstar).

#1: Federico Lucifredi (flucifredi) (2009-01-08 16:25:48)
.

#2: Federico Lucifredi (flucifredi) (2009-01-26 18:49:40)
As per for phone conversation, this requirement is not only about
technology ("Policy framework"), but also about the political decision
of what solution to adopt - in which context the technology is not an
Engineering decision, but a Business one. I am chosing Puppet on the
theory that we will do our bit to help the rise of a cross-*NIX
management tool by making it available and supported. If the interest
in Puppet contines at this pace, and other things go the right way, we
will consider further investment. For now, we just make Puppet (and
Facter with it) L3 supported. If the market keeps moving in this
direction, then good, we will integrate beyond the "managing by
configuration file" scheme, and look at what YaST integration we can
do. If it does not, we just keep the L3 package and move3 on. Think of
it as Perl - it is on Every *NIX, and if you use it is good if not, it
does not hurt.

+ #3: Pavol Rusnak (prusnak) (2009-02-10 15:45:06)
+ I think anicka did some experiments with puppet.