[openFATE 305308] Installation into Windows Partition (Wubi-like)
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 17:04:39 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: kojot 350 (kojot350)
Feature #305308, revision 13
Title: Installation into Windows Partition (Wubi-like)

openSUSE-11.2: Evaluation

Requested by: Stephan Binner (beineri)

Wubi allows the installation of Ubuntu on a MS Windows System without
changing the partition setup. Users can test-drive a Linux system
without major performance loss like when using a Live-CD, have data
persistence beyond reboot and an easy way to deinstall like any other
application after trial.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wubi_(Ubuntu)

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: Having a Wubi-alike installer for openSUSE would be a
great way to promote openSUSE to Windows users.

#1: Martin Lasarsch (mlasars) (2008-10-09 12:04:06)
i tried it on a my laptop at home and it works great. *
We want that.
* but it was quite limited, it would be nice to have the option to
install from an already donwloaded media (cd/dvd) instead of network
install only. Maybe i missed an option in the installer ...

#2: Pavol Rusnak (prusnak) (2008-10-09 12:25:48)
I think that Instlux does something similar for openSUSE

#3: Christian Boltz (cboltz) (2008-10-10 00:14:04) (reply to #2)
Not really. Instlux is basically a bootloader for the installer (so
that people don't have to change the boot order in BIOS), while Wubi
installs into a folder of the windows partition - without
repartitioning.

#4: Armin Moradi (amoradi) (2009-01-19 16:33:56)
It would make it easier for new users to try openSUSE and makes it
easier for me to suggest openSUSE =) (rarely people know anything about
partitioning)

#5: kojot 350 (kojot350) (2009-02-04 12:59:18)
And it would be easier for new users to jump into conclusion that Linux
is slow and buggy (because wubi make problems) and we don't want that,
do we? (I've read an article the other day, and he (engineer and
experienced windows user), wrote really bad article based on
Wubi/Ubuntu Linux install)

#6: Martin Lasarsch (mlasars) (2009-02-04 13:46:31) (reply to #5)
could you please provide a link to that article?

+ #7: kojot 350 (kojot350) (2009-02-04 17:04:22) (reply to #6)
+ "I checked with a number of Linux pros and fans, and in the end, I
+ relied on my most trusted expert, my 18-year-old son Gabe, who
+ recommended that I go with Ubuntu, using the Wubi installer." "The
+ Hardware Gods, though, were not pleased; perhaps I had forgotten to
+ sacrifice a goat. My ThinkPad T41 didn't reboot, even though the
+ installer tried. So I took matters into my own hands and chose to
+ reboot from the Windows Start menu. (At this point, the installation
+ program was still running in Windows.) Once again, it stood firm and
+ refused to reboot. As a long-suffering Windows user, I'm used to this
+ kind of thing, so I tried the three-finger salute and pressed Ctrl-Alt-
+ Del -- twice. Again, no go. Eventually, I had to unplug the machine's
+ power cord, take out the battery, then put the battery and power cord
+ back in. Then I restarted." "As a Windows user, I'm used to seeing
+ incomprehensible screens. But this one put even Microsoft to shame. I
+ rebooted again (this time it worked) and once again chose Ubuntu from
+ the dual-boot screen. Once again the mysterious screen appeared."
http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=Default&articleId=9126042&taxonomyId=0&pageNumber=1
+ I know, it's IDG, what can we expect from people who get paid from M$ do
+ do black PR...