[openFate 305308] Installation into Windows Partition (Wubi-like)
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 09:43:14 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Stephan Binner <stbinner@xxxxxxxxxx>
Feature #305308, revision 7
Title: Installation into Windows Partition (Wubi-like)

openSUSE-11.2: Evaluation
Priority
- Requester: Desirable
+ Requester: Important

Requested by: Stephan Binner <stbinner@xxxxxxxxxx>

Wubi allows the installation of Ubuntu on a MS Windows System without
changing the partition setup. Users can test-drive a Linux system
without major performance loss like when using a Live-CD, have data
persistence beyond reboot and an easy way to deinstall like any other
application after trial.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wubi_(Ubuntu)

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: Having a Wubi-alike installer for openSUSE would be a
great way to promote openSUSE to Windows users.

#1: Martin Lasarsch <martin.lasarsch@xxxxxxxxxx> (2008-10-09 12:04:
06)
i tried it on a my laptop at home and it works great. *
We want that.
* but it was quite limited, it would be nice to have the option to
install from an already donwloaded media (cd/dvd) instead of network
install only. Maybe i missed an option in the installer ...

#2: Pavol Rusnak <prusnak@xxxxxxxxxx> (2008-10-09 12:25:48)
I think that Instlux does something similar for openSUSE

#3: Christian Boltz <suse-beta@xxxxxxxxx> (2008-10-10 00:14:04) (reply
to #2)
Not really. Instlux is basically a bootloader for the installer (so
that people don't have to change the boot order in BIOS), while Wubi
installs into a folder of the windows partition - without
repartitioning.

https://features.opensuse.org/?rm=feature_show&id=305308

< Previous Next >
List Navigation