[openFate 305099] please have yast do a fsck before attempting to mount existing filesystems
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 11:06:45 +0200 (CEST)
Feature added by: Arvin Schnell <aschnell@xxxxxxxxxx>

Feature #305099, revision 1, last change by
Title: please have yast do a fsck before attempting to mount existing
filesystems

openSUSE-11.2: New

Requested by: Per Jessen <per.jessen@xxxxxxxxxx>

I was doing a new install, but wanted to keep my /home filesystem (JFS). No
problem, except that the filesystem wasn't clean and needed an fsck. As far as
I can tell, yast didn't do this, so mounting of the /home filesystem failed,
which caused the entirely installation process to abend and start over.

#1: Stefan Hundhammer <sh@xxxxxxxxxx> (2008-02-21 06:26:43)
I'd really hate to have my 100+ GB ext3 partitions fscked. That takes forever.

#2: Per Jessen <per.jessen@xxxxxxxxxx> (2008-02-21 07:15:33)
Even when they're clean? It's done on every bootup anyway. See
/etc/init.d/boot.localfs

#3: Jozef Uhliarik <juhliarik@xxxxxxxxxx> (2008-02-21 08:21:41)
What is your opinion Thomas?

#4: Thomas Fehr <fehr@xxxxxxxxxx> (2008-02-21 08:24:13)
That would need an feature request, not a bug report.

#6: Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxxxxx> (2008-02-21 12:04:27)
I think it's not too uncommon that people reinstall their system _because_ the
old one had a problem, so dirty file systems may not be too uncommon.

#7: Thomas Fehr <fehr@xxxxxxxxxx> (2008-02-25 03:00:03)
What the customer described happens on JFS, this is an unsupported filesystem
exactly for the reason that it behaves quite fundamentally different to most
other filesystems.

Filesystems like ext3 or reiser simply do their log reply when they are dirty
and all is fine. So if you want such things to be added, please specify it as a
feature request. Since there needs to be an interactive user interface to the
filesystem check program this is in no way a simple change. Or would you prefer
for example do a rebuild of reiserfs internal tree as default without asking
the user first? Problem is that the questions the filesystem check tools ask
the user are quite special and of course totally different for different
filesystem types.

#8: Duncan Mac-Vicar <dmacvicar@xxxxxxxxxx> (2008-07-17 08:13:00)
I happen to suffer from this bug too once. I think the bug is not that the
installation cleans the disk, but at least say that is not clean instead of
crashing (in my case it was an installation where yast thought the disk was
mounted but it was not)

#9: Arvin Schnell <aschnell@xxxxxxxxxx> (2008-07-17 08:22:23)
No time for 11.1.

https://features.opensuse.org/?rm=feature_show&id=305099