[openFate 100386] Support a verbose logging mode in yast
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 16:19:13 +0200 (CEST)
Feature changed by: Martin Vidner (mvidner@xxxxxxxxxx)
Feature #100386, revision 27
Title: Support a verbose logging mode in yast

openSUSE-10.2: Rejected by Andreas Jaeger(aj@xxxxxxxxxx)
reject date: 2006-09-30 20:43:33
reject reason: for 10.3.
Projectmanager: Desirable

openSUSE-10.3: Rejected by Stanislav Visnovsky(visnov@xxxxxxxxxx)
reject date: 2007-08-01 10:24:26
reject reason: Postponing, needs more research.
Projectmanager: Important

openSUSE-11.0: Rejected by Federico Lucifredi(flucifredi@xxxxxxxxxx)
reject date: 2008-06-28 19:27:16
reject reason: fixing my typo. Mandatories in the past don't work
(yet).
Projectmanager: Important

openSUSE-11.1: Candidate
Projectmanager: Important

SL-10.0: Rejected by Andreas Jaeger(aj@xxxxxxxxxx)
reject date: 2005-12-02 14:56:13
reject reason: not done.

SLES-11: Candidate
Projectmanager: Important

Requested by: Andreas Jaeger (aj@xxxxxxxxxx)
+ Partner organization: openSUSE.org

Create a verbose logging mode in yast, where any action yast performs
is logged. Any file yast touches should be logged (to
/var/log/YaST2/y2log AND clean up the structure of that log file, to
make it easier to read and interpret) and all changes on the systems
configuration. The goal is to make it really transparent what yast
does.

Documentation Impact:
Admin guide needs to contain information about the new log file.

#1: Edith Parzefall(emap@xxxxxxxxxx) (2006-09-28 17:17:54)
Can't be done for 10.2. Back to TPMs.

#2: Edith Parzefall(emap@xxxxxxxxxx) (2007-07-31 16:17:45)
Sorry, couldn't be done for 10.3. We need a concept for this. Even
within the team different developers have different needs. Improving
the logging to give all developers the best possible debugging
information will be difficult, but it's definitely something we should
attempt in the near future.

#3: Stanislav Visnovsky(visnov@xxxxxxxxxx) (2007-11-08 10:48:48)
Can we get some traction here finally?

#4: Stanislav Visnovsky(visnov@xxxxxxxxxx) (2007-11-28 10:16:38)
Reopening, the YaST transparency is often cited as a problem for
users.

#6: Federico Lucifredi(flucifredi@xxxxxxxxxx) (2008-06-28 17:13:54)
I think this has enough user benefit and is trivial enough, we should
just get it done.

#7: Federico Lucifredi(flucifredi@xxxxxxxxxx) (2008-06-28 19:28:04)
PM-Priority for product openSUSE-11.0 downgraded from mandatory to :
oops. Too many widgets for my tired brain.

#8: Stanislav Visnovsky(visnov@xxxxxxxxxx) (2008-07-01 16:49:08) (reply
to #7)
This cannot be done completely - this is non-trivial amount of work. I
suggest to start this though, having the YaST infrastructure in place
ASAP. Federico, please, downgrade the priority.

#9: Federico Lucifredi(flucifredi@xxxxxxxxxx) (2008-07-02 14:01:05)
PM-Priority for product SLES-11 downgraded from mandatory to important:
too much work for a one-off apparently.

#10: Federico Lucifredi(flucifredi@xxxxxxxxxx) (2008-07-02 14:01:27)
PM-Priority for product openSUSE-11.1 downgraded from mandatory to
important:
too much work for a one-shot.

https://features.opensuse.org/?rm=feature_show&id=100386