Re: [opensuse-factory] New Tumbleweed snapshot 20201007 released!
On Fri, Oct 09, 2020 at 12:23:15PM +0200, Michael Pujos wrote:
On 10/8/20 9:39 PM, Stefan Dirsch wrote:
On Thu, Oct 08, 2020 at 04:53:49PM +0200, Michael Pujos wrote:

I suggest with your setup to uninstall xorg-x11-server-wrapper, i.e. not to
use Xwrapper at all.

Yup, that's what I did.
Xwrapper works fine started from the command-line (in runlevel 3), just not
from startx invoked from ~/.profile,
itself executed on console login:  Xorg fails to start with the same error
than when it is not setuid root.
This is super minor as I expect the number to call startx in their
~/.profile with xorg-x11-server-wrapper installed to be in the 0.000001%
range,
but just mentioning it for completeness.

Ok. This is really a corner case.

It sounds weird you're calling xinitrc thru your ~/.xinitrc. The sample
.xinitrc in /etc/skel just sources /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.common, but I
added
a compat link for this.

When using xinit/startx, /usr/libexec/xinit/xinitrc should be found. Try
these
first without any ~/.xinitrc. Although we no longer really support starting
Xsession via xinit/startx, at least for simple WMs it should be somewhat
possible with a reduced functionality (sound may not work, etc.). So if this
is no longer working, I need to fix this.

Again, my setup is a bit unusual with login on tty1 starting Xorg with i3,
tty2 starting Plasma, tty3 starting Plasma+i3 (replacing kwin) and tty4 for
Gnome.
Although these days, I simply use i3.
My ~/.xinitrc sets WINDOWMANAGER depending on tty and do a few other things
before ultimately calling /usr/libexec/xinit/xinitrc.
Full details on my dotfiles repo: https://github.com/bubbleguuum/dotfiles

Ah. @bubbleguum. One of our main contributors to suse-prime! :-)

This is really a special setup, since ~/.xinitrc is meant to be a
*replacement* for /usr/libexec/xinit/xinitrc.

I suppose I could just use SDDM these days (had problem to set it up in the
past with multiple monitors and high-dpi displays, but not true anymore),
but I like this setup.

I see. The good thing about this is, that people with such a special setup
know how to adjust it, if there are any system changes. ;-) I'll see if there
are more users, who rely on /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc. Then I can still add a
compat sysmlink.

Thanks,
Stefan

Public Key available
Stefan Dirsch (Res. & Dev.) SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH
Tel: 0911-740 53 0 Maxfeldstraße 5
FAX: 0911-740 53 479 D-90409 Nürnberg
http://www.suse.de Germany