Re: [opensuse-factory] New Tumbleweed snapshot 20201007 released!
On 10/8/20 9:39 PM, Stefan Dirsch wrote:
On Thu, Oct 08, 2020 at 04:53:49PM +0200, Michael Pujos wrote:

I suggest with your setup to uninstall xorg-x11-server-wrapper, i.e. not to
use Xwrapper at all.

Yup, that's what I did.
Xwrapper works fine started from the command-line (in runlevel 3), just not from startx invoked from ~/.profile,
itself executed on console login:  Xorg fails to start with the same error than when it is not setuid root.
This is super minor as I expect the number to call startx in their ~/.profile with xorg-x11-server-wrapper installed to be in the 0.000001% range,
but just mentioning it for completeness.

Background: We introduced it for gdm, so Xserver started by gdm no longer
needs to be run as user root. Until now we used a special patch against gdm to
start it still as root, which our gdm developers wanted to get rid
of. RH/Debian are using Xwrapper since some time for gdm.
Good to know.

It sounds weird you're calling xinitrc thru your ~/.xinitrc. The sample
.xinitrc in /etc/skel just sources /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.common, but I added
a compat link for this.

When using xinit/startx, /usr/libexec/xinit/xinitrc should be found. Try these
first without any ~/.xinitrc. Although we no longer really support starting a
Xsession via xinit/startx, at least for simple WMs it should be somewhat
possible with a reduced functionality (sound may not work, etc.). So if this
is no longer working, I need to fix this.

Again, my setup is a bit unusual with login on tty1 starting Xorg with i3, tty2 starting Plasma, tty3 starting Plasma+i3 (replacing kwin) and tty4 for Gnome.
Although these days, I simply use i3.
My ~/.xinitrc sets WINDOWMANAGER depending on tty and do a few other things before ultimately calling /usr/libexec/xinit/xinitrc.
Full details on my dotfiles repo: https://github.com/bubbleguuum/dotfiles

I suppose I could just use SDDM these days (had problem to set it up in the past with multiple monitors and high-dpi displays, but not true anymore),
but I like this setup.