Re: [opensuse-factory] xauth and now gone ~/.Xauthority
  • From: Martin Jambor <mjambor@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2020 12:52:02 +0200
Hi,

On Thu, Sep 03 2020, Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:
Am Donnerstag, 3. September 2020, 20:45:30 CEST schrieb Hans-Peter Jansen:
Hi,

what's the canonical way to run scripts (eg. from crontab), that want to
access the X session, (eg. xprop, wmctrl), now that xauth is a random file
in /run/user/$UID?

Before the switch, it was possible to run such scripts from crontab, using
the pattern:

XAUTHORITY=~/.Xauthority DISPLAY=:0 ~/bin/script

Scratch that.

Florian provided the magic spell: "xhost +si:localuser:$USER" does the trick.

This week I installed a new Tumbleweed desktop (snapshot 20201002) where
I use lightdm and fluxbox window manager. Each X application (xeyes,
xterm, Firefox) seemed to work fine but complained to stderr with error
message "No protocol specified" sometimes several times ...until I added
the above xhost command to the fluxbox startup script. After doing that
the message is gone.

Is this anything to be concerned about? Can anyone guess what the
problem is/was? The applications working but not having permission to
access some protocol specification?

Thanks,

Martin