Re: [opensuse-factory] Proposal: /tmp as tmpfs
Le jeudi 16 juillet 2020 à 11:11 +0200, Stasiek Michalski a écrit :
On Thu, Jul 16, 2020 at 08:52, Frederic Crozat <FCrozat@xxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Le jeudi 16 juillet 2020 à 10:16 +0200, Jiri Slaby a écrit :
Or firefox downloads for me kernel-debuginfo (over 1G) and I
*open*
it
in Ark (not save it). So it ends up in /tmp/ too (see above).

So no, /tmp still should not be a tmpfs by default for
everybody:
1) there are still brand new machines with only 1G of RAM
installed.
2) /tmp is used for storing large files by users or firefox.

It would make sense to fix Firefox to use /var/tmp instead of /tmp
for
such case (or XDG_CACHE_DIR).

I disagree that user specific download history should be in a shared
directory.

Right now, this directory is only accessible by the user (and root, obviously).
I'm pretty sure the current behavior is just a side-effect of Firefox using
TMPDIR as default (confirmed
by
https://dxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-release/source/xpcom/io/SpecialSystemDirectory.cpp#452

Firefox should be able to:
a) have per user download history
b) clean that download history when it's cleaned from the interface
and
when files no longer exist in the cache directory

This should be reported to Mozilla, I think.

Moving download history to ~/.cache/firefox seems like a better idea.

Currently, Fedora is overriding TMPDIR="$XDG_CACHE_HOME/tmp"|' byt only
when they build rpm to be put into flatpak.
--
Frederic Crozat
Release Manager SUSE Linux Enterprise